What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by startingaflock, Jan 7, 2010.

1. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    I started building my styrofoam cooler incubator today and I am having problems getting the thermostat to turn the light out when it reaches temperature. Is it my wiring or something entirely different? Any suggestions would be appriciated. I sure hope it's not the thermostat itself as it was the last one that Home Depot had that was 90-150 degrees. They all seem to be 110-170 degrees here in Canada. Please help I want to set eggs in February for a March break hatch.

2. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Are you sure the temp is above 90 - meaning are you sure the thermometer you are using is correct? If it is, try turning the adjustment screw until it reaches the point that it turns off the light manually. If that happens, then it's probably not the thermostat or wiring, just maybe a discrepancy with the temp you think you have it set at.

As far as the wiring, I'm not much help as my husband did that part. But I did the tinkering to get it dialed in to the correct temp for days til I finally goit it there. I started as soon as the thermometer said it was 95-96. Then I turn the screw til the light went off. Then I bumped it up a tiny bit, just til it came back on. and I continued this way til I got it where I wanted it.

If that doesn't help, I'm sorry and maybe someone will be more help than I.

3. ZooNana

ZooNana Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a thermometer in the bator to watch the temp?

Is there any air coming in near the thermostat that could be causing it to think it's not up to temp?

4. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    We figured it out. It was wired wrong. Now just to get hubby to do it properly. I want to set eggs in February and I want to make sure that I can stabilize the temp and humidity before then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by