what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, Apr 5, 2011.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    humidity is on 35 to 45% up till lock down and temp is from 98 to 101. after lock down, humidity is 65% temp is staying close to 99.5. i candle before putting in hatcher for lock down and everything looks good. i see movement, air sack looks good but they either die or hatch late. i had 2 chicks hatch on day 24. what is the problem. i calibrated the thermometers again both dead on. HELP. I have 24 turkey eggs in now. 6 are in hatcher 1 was suppose to hatch on sunday and nothing. i cant loose all my turkeys. Help please.

2. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    The only thing I can think of is a bacteria that hits them from the incubator. Are you using the white foam type of incubator?? I heard they are difficult to sanitize and hatch rates go down with each use.
    Go to this web site for analysis of hatch problems: edis.ifas.ufl.edu
    Hope it gets better...good luck.

3. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    how would someone know if its bacteria?

4. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    You might want to invest in a bottle of oxine for disinfecting the incubator between hatches. Works very well, though a little costly - but it goes a long way.

5. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    You can use plain old rubbing alcohol. I was mine with antibacterial soap and then I wipe it down with rubbing alcohol.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Your problems may be coming from the temp fluctuation. My stays at 99* and usually I have a 50 to 60%. Todays hatch should be 90% with the D'Uccles 7 out of 8. My Marans eggs just started pipping on cue just as I thought they would its day 20. Good Luck it takes time to figure out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by