1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what am i doing wrong?!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by syble, Aug 20, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i did my research prior to buying my first batch of hatching eggs, had growth but none hatched, I had a cabinet incubator, auto turner, set to the proper temp and everything. I've tried a couple times and have had no luck, its frustrating and expensive. I can hatch chicks, quail, turkeys by the hundreds, what gives!?

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Peachicks are one of the harder fowl to hatch, but you say you can hatch out turkey poults by the hundreds so you shouldn't have a hard time hatching out peachicks if you are having your eggs shipped that's your biggest problem there I have never done well with shipped pea eggs.

3. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    were the eggs on their sides?

4. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    I agree with steve shiped eggs a very hard.we hatch our own eggs but shipped eggs we have not done well.we have gotten eggs from very good breeder who did a great job packing

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    they are incubated upright in cartons, right along side of the turkey eggs. i probably have a 95% success rate with turkeys. 1 batch was shipped, one batch i drove to pick up, I think i tried a 3rd time bur don't remember where they came from... I get growth, they just don't hatch. With the success i have with turkeys i though it would be do able to hatch some peafowl, would there be any different requirements?

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've never tryed to incubate shipped pea eggs, but I did hatch some pea eggs from a lady friend of mine. The first batch of 4 eggs, none hatched. 2nd time 2 hatch, 3 time two more hatched. Practice makes perfect. [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

7. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:, right along side of the turkey eggs. i probably have a 95% success rate with turkeys. 1 batch was shipped, one batch i drove to pick up, I think i tried a 3rd time bur don't remember where they came from... I get growth, they just don't hatch. With the success i have with turkeys i though it would be do able to hatch some peafowl, would there be any different requirements?

What do you mean in cartons??? you need to use egg trays that go in your incubator so the eggs can get the right airflow they need for hatching they only cost around $2.00 to $4.00 ea this may help your hatch, this gives you 7 to 8 months to get ready for next year.

8. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    I agree with choctaw about the egg trays

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We are new to hatching peafowl, and from shipped eggs we have had 5 hatch total, of which two are still alive now. The eggs were left on their sides in the bator with an auto turner as well as hand turning three times a day.

10. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    This is what I use, homemade goose trays and fit 5 eggs on each side. The picture looks like the eggs are standing straight up but they are actually laying on the sides. It is just the angle the picture was taken. The eggs trays in the first picture I purchased and used to make the ones below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by