What am I doing wrong??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by misspnme, Oct 25, 2013.

1. misspnme

misspnme Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    Hi, I have 8 RIR that are around 20-21 weeks. Not laying yet and none of them are showing any signs of getting ready. I recently put nesting boxes in their coop with straw hoping they might show some interest. The next morning

2. misspnme

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    Sorry, my two year old bumped me and I hit submit. Anyway, the next morning all of the straw was out of all of the nesting boxes! I out it all back in and the next morning was the same. It's been that way every morning. What is wrong with my girls??

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are likely practicing. They will get in a nest and arrange it, but aren't ready to lay yet. It's a good sign that it will be soon though.

4. misspnme

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    @HappyChooks ok, so them pulling the straw out of the boxes is normal behavior? That's a relief! Thanks so much!

5. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    By the way, straw can harbor mites!
    I would get rid of it and start using pine shavings.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How high of a lip do you have on front of your nesting boxes? I like a good 4" or more to keep them from tossing the nesting material out, most nest boxes that are sold usually have a lot lower edges. I personally like straw topped with pine shavings as nesting material, other people really like hay or plain shavings. Any nesting material can harbor mites if you have an infestation of them.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, some pullets get over eager in their nesting and will scratch out everything they can. I use shavings and some pullets will still get it down to bare wood. Once they start laying, they don't seem to do it anymore. Just keep adding more in until then. Definitely make sure you have a lip on your nesting boxes. Not only does it keep nesting material in, but it keeps poop out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by