what am i? 'duckling' found in garage

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
its minus 20 here at the moment and winter has long begun, yet some crazy duck decided to get broody and hatch herself out some chicks on the othersid of town.
long story short this little guy turned up yesterday in someones garage...the residents kept an eye out for a 'mum' or siblings but nothing was seen. ducky was still in there this morning so they brought it round to me.
i first thought it was just a usual run of the mill lost mallard duckling, but something tells me it isnt. its beak is huge with 2 'bumps' on the end, it has really long legs and doesnt squeak like my last lot of mallards duckling did constantly. it is just starting to get some feathers in (see last photo)

any ideas what it could be and a rough estimate on age? i thought maybe a cross between a scovy and something?

100_6766.jpg

100_6765.jpg

100_6767.jpg

100_6764.jpg

100_6763.jpg

100_6761.jpg

Last edited:
the long chunky legs really make me giggle, but its the two 'bumps' on the bill that get me. never seen a duck with those before so dont know if its a genetic flaw or species related.

im a little worried though that he has some baldness around the eyes (you can just see it in one of the pictures) but cant see any lice or mites on the little guy (or girl!)

Any chance this could perhaps be a young swan? I don't know much about swans, but I *think* I remember seeing one with those bumps on the bill...

it didnt even occur to me it could be anything other than a duck...wow

big_smile.png

well ive started a thread in the 'what breed or gender is this' section, i think more people look there so may get a few more opinions
smile.png

ive looked on google at a few pics of young swans/geese but they dont fit. young geese have a shorter beak, young swans all seem to be white or grey, no darker brown colours so im pretty convinced its a duck of sorts.........
hu.gif

Last edited:
How big is it? In the pictures it looks pretty large-I'm thinking that's just because the pictures are close-up, though, right?
The coloring sure looks like a mallard x with something?????
Good on you for rescuing it, whatever it turns out to be(besides really cute).

its quite big to be honest, the green box i put in there for water is 20cm long and the 'duck' is a bit longer, it stands at nearly 30cm tall when it stands properely and not all huddled up in the corner

Back
Top Bottom