What Am I Getting Into?

SilkieAngel16

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
Texas
Hi everyone, I am thinking about showing some black tailed white japenese bamtams at my fair, can someone tell me what I need to do? Breeders to find these birds as SQ? What all am I getting into? Thanks! :)

I dont show that breed, nor do I show any breed. But I do know that to keep them in good shape, dont feed corn which will give their white feathers a yellowish tint, and for white birds, thats a no no!
Too much sun will make their feathers brittle and not shiny (like the judges like). They do need sun to keep healthy, but be sure they dont get too much. So plenty of shade, remember. This is why I dont like showing, because to me it seems so cruel to do that, but thats what it takes!
You will want to keep their coop as clean as possible, and since they are low walking birds then even cleaner. I dont know if you use sand as bedding but i wouldnt use that for them, it will make them dirty! Straw or shavings are your best bet.
they have to be parasite free before they go in, but any bird should always be free of mites, lice, worms, ect.. Keep a 1-1 ratio of potting soil? (somebody correct me if im wrong here) and wood ash. Maybe put that in a kiddie pool you can buy for either 10 or 20 bucks, i cant remember. When they dust it should help. And for deworming you dont have to use any of that chemical junk, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) de worms. Also as i have read, dont quote me lol you can put hot pepper juice in their water to deworm?
A few days before you bring the bird in to show, bath him/her. three days is optimal. This gives him enough time to get that oil back on his feathers and looking pretty again!
Oh, and training. Dont ask me how to do it, because i messed up
hide.gif
somebody else more experienced will know!
Good luck!! any questions feel free to ask and if i know the answer i will tell ya.

Back
Top Bottom