What am I looking at here? An eaten egg? A shell-less egg? Something else?

doughouse

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Boston, MA
This morning I had collected three eggs from our nesting boxes, so when I went out this afternoon to clean the coop and saw a chicken in the nesting boxes I was kind of excited. Our flock consists of four 10-month-old pullets, and this would make our first ever four egg day. I left to give her a little privacy, and when I came back a little later to clean the coop and collect the egg this is what I saw.

PXL_20210306_211705323.jpg

No egg shell, just yolk.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that if she ate her egg I'd find little fragments of shell among the wreckage, but there was not a single shell fragment. But I also think they also have plenty of calcium--free choice oyster shell, regular access to high calcium treats (Grubblies), and layer feed with calcium--so I'd be surprised if she was having egg shell issues.

For additional context, the chicken responsible for whatever this is is bottom of the pecking order and is very sweet but dumb. Dumb as in she sometimes can't figure out how to get out of run when we open the door to let them free-range in the backyard. We have a fenced in backyard and they "free range" most of the day when the weather cooperates.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be?

It looks like your chickens took advantage of a cracked or broken egg and gobbled it down. I would observe the flock closely for the next couple of days and make sure you don’t have an egg eater - sometimes just one broken egg is all it takes for them to discover the rich deliciousness inside the egg and they’ll intentionally break them to get to it.

This morning I had collected three eggs from our nesting boxes, so when I went out this afternoon to clean the coop and saw a chicken in the nesting boxes I was kind of excited. Our flock consists of four 10-month-old pullets, and this would make our first ever four egg day. I left to give her a little privacy, and when I came back a little later to clean the coop and collect the egg this is what I saw.

View attachment 2558298

No egg shell, just yolk.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that if she ate her egg I'd find little fragments of shell among the wreckage, but there was not a single shell fragment. But I also think they also have plenty of calcium--free choice oyster shell, regular access to high calcium treats (Grubblies), and layer feed with calcium--so I'd be surprised if she was having egg shell issues.

For additional context, the chicken responsible for whatever this is is bottom of the pecking order and is very sweet but dumb. Dumb as in she sometimes can't figure out how to get out of run when we open the door to let them free-range in the backyard. We have a fenced in backyard and they "free range" most of the day when the weather cooperates.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be?
That is exactly what I have found the last 2 days. One of my chickens, hopefully just one, has decided to eat eggs. I am now in the who done it process and having to send her to get "cleaned", whichever one she or they may be.

Back
Top Bottom