What am I looking at in this egg? Is it a double yolker?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hennypenny99, Apr 20, 2011.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Well I bought a new high powered LED flashlight today and now I can actually see into my brown eggs. They are at day 13 now and I was looking at this egg. There are two dark spots moving around in there. Could it be the head and the rear or a double yolker or something? The others don't look like this. I took a picture but it didnt take too well with my cell. I am trying to attach it now. I may try again with my camera later. Also see the big empty space? Is this normal for day 13? My other eggs look like they only have one black dot moving in them.

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I dunno. if there were two yolks developing, I would expect to see less space.

But what do I know?

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    That is a single chick forming... One dark spot is the head, the other is the abdomen.

4. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Oh good! I could see the two black dots and they were both moving so I wasn't sure. I'm glad I bought the new flashlight. With the old ones I couldnt see a thing in the brown eggs and with this one I found an obvious quitter but I only candled about 8 eggs. I was afraid of having the incubator open too long and chilling the eggs. Thanks!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:This is correct. If it wer two you would see four. LOL!!! Make sense? HAHA!!

6. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    [​IMG] Yes, that makes since. I have never incubated before so I figured it was something else. I am so excited I wanted to take a vacation day next Friday so I could be there when they start hatching. Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by