what am I looking at...is this good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickaroo3, Feb 13, 2012.

1. chickaroo3

chickaroo3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Ok ....Do not know what I am looking at....I set the eggs on fiday afternoon/ evening so technically we are in the middle of day 3...I couldnt handle it anymore and had to candle a couple....I use one of the new fangaled light bulbs...lower heat and a cup with a hole in the bottom...all I could see was a dark circle.....wasnt a very high powered light and I couldnt get even close to complete darkness in the room...10:28am here...is this a good thing ....that I am seeing a dark circle
    ReplyQuote Multi
    ReplyQuote Multi

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
  3. chickaroo3

Jan 21, 2012
    No it is not a blood ring....I have looked at all of the pics for candling on BYC and it doesnt appear to be a blood ring....it is a dark circle completely shadowed in inner part of the circle...no ring

4. chickaroo3

Jan 21, 2012
    then again ...the light wasnt that bright and the room was lit....I guess I will try again tonight when I get home from work and have a brighter light. Will it hurt the chicks/ embryos if I use a small high power flash light or would it be smarter to just get a strong led light?

5. Chemguy

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Sorry, I've been away and didn't see your post until today. Did you get a stronger light? What did you see? An LED will work really well, but so will an incandescent.

6. chickaroo3

Jan 21, 2012
    Hey...I candled all of the eggs today....every single one is up and growing....a good light,dark room, and a couple more days helped!

7. Chemguy

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    That's great news! Good luck with you hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by