what am I looking for in candling?

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Ok, my test run is in the bator and it is day 12. What am I looking for when I candle them? I have seen one large dark spot ?? I have brown and green eggs in the bator and not sure what I am seeing???

Ok, I just candled them again. Now I see a very dark large spot inside. It takes up about 1/3 of the egg itself. I did see veins in one egg. I am incubating nine eggs testing my new bator. It seems to hold them the temp and humidity very well. I do add water every couple days now that I have the hang of it.
The dark heavy dark spot is more like an irregular shape like kind of in the figure eight? Not a perfect oval or round shape at all. Is that what I should be seeing?
Thanks ahead of time.

Wow, thank you sooooo much!!! That is wonderful to have pics like that!! Makes a beginner know what they are doing!!! Awesome, thank you so very, very much.

You have eggs going? Who Hoo!!! I have eggs on day 16. Mine are our 5th batch of Silkie Eggs. I bought a very expensive pair and you watch...all 8 eggs are going to hatch
big_smile.png
The last batches, I haven't been able to hatch for some reason. I can hatch my eggs, but not the shipped eggs. Hopefully better luck this time.

We are really cold here in North Missouri. How about you??? This morning it was -5
barnie.gif

Hi there, yes, it is cold here too but not quite as cold as up north. I think we were 10 yesterday a.m. It is 20 this morning. I went out twice last night to check on my flock...all seem fine. I haven't let them out in two days. I have one molting and I feel sorry for her.
I don't know what possessed me but here I was waiting on my first litter of puppies and couldn't help myself...I had to do a "test run" on my Christmas incubator. ha ha From the help of Speckled Hen it looks like they all might be fertile. I was a nervous wreck worrying about humidity and temp then after a week I don't worry about it anymore....then I read about exploding eggs..
ep.gif
I have decided not to occupy my mind with things that "might" happen.
big_smile.png
So I now have week old puppies and eggs in the bator on Day 13 today. At first, I was worried about not having tubing, etc. Then I thought this is silly, the hen gets off the nest so I just do what I have to do and replace the lid. Whatever heat is lost comes right back up, the same with the humidity so I am ok with things...right now.
wink.png
You know I have one silkie hen and have never seen her in the nest so I don't even know if she has ever laid an egg yet but surely she has. Yes, I do have silkie roos. I love my silkies. But would love to have some more hens. You should see the roos chasing the big hens it is too funny.

I can't seem to find a chicken called a silky in the hatchery web sites. Is the name short for something? I read a lot of folks posting about them and would like to see a picture of one. Can someone help me out? Thank you John

Back
Top Bottom