What am I missing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by porkchop48, Jul 26, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I have the feeder, I have the waterer( and new nipples on the way)

I got the starter feed... We got the layer crumbles ( little early for them but he meant well)

What am I forgetting?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Heat lamp and extra bulb (because they always burn out when you DON'T have one), paper towel for the first three days after hatch, pine shavings for later. IF these are chicks and you got the layer food for them, you may want to sell that bag (i kept mine for a few months before and ended up getting lots of bugs in it...you would have to save it for almost 6 months) I always have an extra waterer on hand because I keep the others that aren't being used soaking in bleach water to clean it out for next time. That way I just have to grab and go and not have to worry about taking the time to clean it out...just let it soak for next time [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Forgot to ask...When do you get your chicks?

4. porkchop48

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Pine shavings and paper towels I have [​IMG]

As well as the heat lamp and extra bulbs ( I have quite a few frogs and reptile so I always have extra heat bulbs and lamps.

I am going to pick up an extra water on my way to work this morning.

Yes they are chicks. I got starter food for them. Dh got layer food...Whoops.

I hope they should be arriving today or tomorrow.... I hope. Well atleast this week some time. if they shipped the day the auction ended ( ended sunday so monday) I paid for express so I could have them held at the post office...and they are only coming from about 4 hours away... so please please let it be today or tomorrow. ..... But 9:30 and no call from the post office so today does not look promising.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sounds like you are a very prepared new chicken mommy then [​IMG] Be sure to post pictures of the cuties when they get to you [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    go to the BYC hone page and click on "Learning Center", it will list everything you need to know, Chickens 101....

good luck and remember to post pics!!

7. porkchop48

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    They are close. I check tracking and they arrived at the post office last night around 1 am ish.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It is driving me nuts waiting on the call. I hope they dont wait until 9 to call. I have a meeting at 9. Call at 7ish I can pick them up on the way to work and they can cheep at me all day long [​IMG]

I will be taking some baggies of food and some water to work with me so I can feed them while I am there. Thankfully I get done early today.

Never mind at 6:27 am the call came.... They have arrived.

I will be leaving in about 10 minutes to go get them... WOOO HOOOO>>>>

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by