What Am I?? Or am I just a mutt?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WhispersToChickens, Dec 4, 2010.

1. WhispersToChickens

WhispersToChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing mutt that has some Copper Maran in him.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Look's like he has the hennie feathering gene.. Some breeds with that would be games, Campines, Sebrights. Not heard of many others (Well, Seramas) that have that gene.

-Daniel

4. WhispersToChickens

Apr 17, 2010
    I was thinkn maran...maybe I should ask him to lay n egg?? [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's no Marans in him. Just because a bird looks almost similar in color to a breed that commonly is advertised to have such color doesn't mean they're related. [​IMG]

He's a mutt, and I agree, it almost looks like he's got henny feathering. . . His color is created by a crossing of black and duckwing or wheaten.

Black Coppers do not have the "cinnamon triangle" [​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Illia, what do you mean by the "cinnamon triangle? Even I can tell it's not a maran, but I'm trying to learn all the color phrases, and that's one I haven't heard.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's a name/term for the red coloring on his secondary feathers (the long feathers in his wing) It creates a cinnamon colored triangle of color. It is something found in duckwing, partridge, and wheaten based colors.

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Ok, thanks Illia! I thought that was it, but wanted to be sure. Gotta ask stupid questions to learn sometimes [​IMG]

9. WhispersToChickens

Apr 17, 2010
    Curious .....as I have chicks coming up that are SUPPOSSED TO BE haha Copper Marans....can you post pics here of what real coppers look like??? That way we all can compare...chick pics too because Ill be posting those next Im sure! lol 2 of the chicks are black and 2 are getting this kinda coloring and I bought them all as "cooper marans".

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Illia is right, he is a mutt, but I see some Cornish influence there too. He has a broad shoulder and pretty compact looking too, but the rest of him is something else altogether.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by