What Am I? *PIC*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by koakritters, Jul 7, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Okay, I know daddy is my white silkie rooster, however I've got 4 different hens in with him that all happen to lay the same color/size eggs!!! No clue who mommy might be, any ideas? The contestants are: blue cochin, black cochin, golden comet, and my really old RIR who I've only caught recently laying an egg. She showed up a couple years ago, just wandered in, idk her real age, but I'd guess at least 6 or so... By coloring i'm guessing the RIR, but...???

[​IMG]

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    dont know sorry but im going to take a jab at it, im guessing golden comet.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That's a really interesting chick! Is the father a purebred silkie? I've never seen a first generation silkie cross chick that didn't inherit the black skin. (of course, I'm no scholar on silkies)

I'd say that the mother was either the RIR or the Sex Link. It's a really hard call, because SLs are mixes of multiple crossings of breeds anyway, so the genetics go a little nuts after the first cross.

Keep posting pics of that cutie! It's going to be facinating watching it grow!

4. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    yup, dad is a purebred silkie, which is why i was so confused when this little one showed up! [​IMG] at first i was positive it came form one of the cochin eggs, but then i found the GC and RIR laying eggs which were the same coloring to the cochins, so now i have no idea who it could be! my guess is the RIR, only because none of the GCs chicks have looked like this.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The mother was your R.I. Red.

Chris

6. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    thanks! [​IMG] she/he is so sweet, i really like the combination... she better stay a girl!!! if i fall in love with one more rooster...

7. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Quote:I just had another silkie X hatch, so now i've got 3, and 2 of them do have the black skin! And they are both black... I'm starting to wonder who their mother is now... My black cochin hasn't laid an egg in 2 years, but she's the only frizzled thing I have, and the first one is a month old now and definitely frizzled. hmmmm..... I;d say this little yellow thing wasn't a silkie x except for the 5 toes, and my silkie is the only one with 5 toes... [​IMG] maybe there's something in the RIR genes that cancel out the black skin... chicken genetics are confusing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by