What am I supposed to do with this...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Leah and peeps, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hello everyone,

So i was down in the storage room and noticed some cans of 2% Partly Skimmed Milk... Any ideas on how to use this up? [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Do you have an ice cream maker? Make some ice cream.

My favorite is chocolate...

· 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    · 3 cups of your canned milk
    · 1 cup heavy cream
    · 8 large egg yolks
    · 1-1/4 cups sugar
    · 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Put your egg yolks in a blender. In a sauce pan, mix the chocolate and sugar together and add the milk and cream. Bring it to a boil and remove from the heat. Then turn the blender on and slowly pour enough of the boiling milk in the blender onto the eggs to fill the blender 3/4 full; blend for 1 minute. Pour the egg mixture back into the pan with the remaining milk and stir to mix well. The residual heat of the milk will cook and slightly thicken the eggs. Stir in the vanilla and pour into a clean container and store in the frig overnight to give the mixture time to chill.

Then make the ice cream. This is very rich and yummy!!!

Then use your egg whites to make an angel food cake and you can have cake and ice cream.

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Not for nothing I would check the expiration dates on those bad boys. You could make rice pudding with it - this is a good time of year for something sweet that also stick to the ribs and gets the old carb burner going.
    Sine whole milk is only 4% fat that means 2% isn't so THIN. unless you're losing weight. Add a couple eggs to it and it'll tighten up nicely

http://www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast/RicePudding.html

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    They would be perfect for homemade scalloped potatoes.

5. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Expiration dates are still good [​IMG]
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! [​IMG] I think that i might try making that chocolate ice cream for now, it sounds delish!
    I'll let you all know how it turns out.
    Thanks again!

ETA: I forgot that it is EVAPORATED [​IMG] How did i forget to mention that!

Leah

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I assumed it was evaporated...I thought all canned milk was evaporated.

7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:EGG xactly !!

8. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Hahah, Thank you! [​IMG] so did I, but hey, you never know! [​IMG]
    Can't wait to make it! It's been so busy I haven't had any time. Do you have any pictures of it?

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Hahah, Thank you! [​IMG] so did I, but hey, you never know! [​IMG]
    Can't wait to make it! It's been so busy I haven't had any time. Do you have any pictures of it?

If you're talking about pictures of the ice cream...I've some chocolate and vanilla in the freezer. I can go snap a picture but it will take a little time to put them up. I live in the boonies and all we have is dial up so it will take a while. I'll run do that. Be back later...[​IMG]

We keep our ice cream in glass containers in the freezer, I haven't had very good luck with plastic. The plastic gets brittle when it freezes and it's very easy to punch a hole in the side of the container with a spoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  10. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I read an old cookbook that said you can use it anyway you use cream!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by