what am I supposed to looking for when we candle the eggs at 5 days???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Jul 16, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    we're candling the eggs today. most of them seem like there is something in there. some have a shadow half way through them, and some only have a little shadow and then some have none.

I have no idea what I'm looking for to be very honest. the ones with nothing I think I'm going to get rid of. but the others....I just don't know.

Please HELP! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NICOLE

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Always check with the first 3 threads on this forum, there's usually an answer to questions like this there.

As for your question, this is one of the first three threads: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

Edit
    : Also, I wouldn't toss any egg until you've gotten to Day 10, when it will be very clear what is going and what is not.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    thank you. i will check it out. sorry for not looking at the other posts first.

4. rthensley

rthensley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2009
    I'm a complete hatching noobie, but I don't think I would even try to candle the eggs at 5 days.

I look at it like you are just increasing the chances of bad (dropping an egg, issues with temp & humidity, introducing bacteria, etc....) things happening each time you candle.

I am only on my second batch of eggs in my incubator (they should start hatching tomorrow), but I only candle on day 10 & day 18. By day 10 things are so much easier to see (or not see), and on day 18, even with a bad eye, things are pretty clear.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by