1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I? *Updated question*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Aug 7, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I got this hen, which appears to be a bantam, and 3 chicks at the auction last night for $4. But I haven't a clue what kind/mix they are, any guesses? What about possible ages of mom and babies?

Yellow legs, no feathered feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  2. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    It looks like 2 of the chicks are little roos, so they will go back to the auction next week.

But I still think a laying hen and a pullet for $4 is a good deal! Its the first time I have ever gone to an auction and bid, I was excited lol.

3. chicklvr4ever

chicklvr4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Florida
    the last 2 are roos and the chicks look like their about 7 weeks old

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks!

Any idea what breed(s) they might be?

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They're a mix of a crested breed. I'd say silkie but they don't have the black skin or 5 toes.. Possibly a polish mixed with a ?

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Barnyard mixes... silkie's in there somewhere, they're getting little fro's.

7. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Ok, barnyard mix works for me, they are cute! [​IMG]

You're probably right about Silkie being in there somewhere. I thought that or maybe Sultan? Was hoping maybe someone could pinpoint any other breed in there.

The hens will make a nice little addition to my Silkies and Bantam Cochin family.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They don't appear to have any silkie or sultan traits with the exception if the crest. If they had either of those breeds in there, you'd see 5 toes, feathered legs, (and likely) beards. I'd say they're polish x game, and it looks like 2 boys.

9. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Ohhh, I didnt even consider Polish in there.

I have a Silkie mix and it does have a crest, but also has 5 toes and feathered feet. This hen just has yellow legs, 4 toes and no feathering.

10. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Yep, I agree with there being 2 boys in there, the little girl is much daintier and lighter, with not much of a comb. I am happy just to have gotten the hen and 1 girl chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by