WHAT AM I?!

Pics

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
This has been driving me nuts for quite a while now...for the longest time I just assumed he was the same as my golden laced seabright until he became older and his tail dropped down like that..so i started comparing him with the seabright and noticed his hackles are totally different and the darker spot on his back has a greenish tint to it! Idk if you can see the green that well i first noticed from sun hitting it. Is he a sex link?! Really hope someone can help it’s driving me nuts!!!🥴

Attachments

• B9C52CA4-ABFE-4756-AFE8-CBA32BB44BD7.jpeg
    B9C52CA4-ABFE-4756-AFE8-CBA32BB44BD7.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 60
  • E5ED3356-BEB3-4EFB-980A-2FCA0F526C38.jpeg
    E5ED3356-BEB3-4EFB-980A-2FCA0F526C38.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 38
@B_Chickle01
Whoa there. I wasn't trying to be snide. I'm sorry it came across that way. I just couldn't entirely make sense of it, because I've never heard of bantam sexlinks.
I am sorry if I sounded rude.
I think he is a poor quality Sebright.
Poor quality doesn't refer to health or care, just how closely they conform to breed standards.
His lacing looks a bit thickly lined and smudged, and he's missing the breed's hen feathering, so he doesn't very closely conform and would be poor quality.
But he's actually quite pretty anyways.

Last edited:
@B_Chickle01
Whoa there. I wasn't trying to be snide. I'm sorry it came across that way. I just couldn't entirely make sense of it, because I've never heard of bantam sexlinks.
I am sorry if I sounded rude.
I think he is a poor quality Sebright.
Poor quality doesn't refer to health or care, just how closely they conform to breed standards.
His lacing looks a bit thickly lined and smudged, and he's missing the breed's hen feathering, so he doesn't very closely conform and would be poor quality.
But he's actually quite pretty anyways.
Thank you for explaining why and also for apology. I didn’t mean to put the sex link i was trying to write post and tend to my two kids i couldn’t get my thoughts together. I wanted to ask if he is mixed and if so what cause I am stumped!

Am I reading correctly that 'hatchery quality' means less good?
Just in the sense that they arent show quality birds but are still solid or more equivilent to like a puppy mill where its mass production and unethical inbreeding and health problems?

Mostly just not show quality.

Health and inbreeding are usually fine (possible exception for very rare breeds, but those will be inbred no matter who you get them from.)

Hatcheries tend to have enough birds that inbreeding isn't a big problem.

Hatchery birds are usually better layers than the same breed from a breeder (exceptions exist, of course.)

Points where hatchery birds are not as good:

They are often the wrong size, with the small breeds and the big breeds tending more toward middle sized.

They sometimes have wrong combs, or wrong color of earlobes or feet, or lack some special feature they should have (hen feathering, beard, feathered feet, extra toe, etc).

They often have coloring that is a bit wrong, usually looking like a sloppy version of what they are supposed to be.

If they are supposed to be dual-purpose or meat-type, they usually do not grow as big or as fast as they are supposed to. (Exception: Cornish Cross from a hatchery will grow faster and bigger than any other chicken you can get. They really are the best for that.)

Personally, I tend to like hatchery-quality chickens. I don't show chickens, I want eggs more than meat, and I like being able to order a bunch of different breeds that will look close to "right."

This has been driving me nuts for quite a while now...for the longest time I just assumed he was the same as my golden laced seabright until he became older and his tail dropped down like that..so i started comparing him with the seabright and noticed his hackles are totally different and the darker spot on his back has a greenish tint to it! Idk if you can see the green that well i first noticed from sun hitting it. Is he a sex link?! Really hope someone can help it’s driving me nuts!!!🥴
It’s looks like a barnyard mix maby sebright And partridge rock idk

Back
Top Bottom