What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TubbyChicken, Apr 13, 2009.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    These chicks came from the feed store can you tell what they are and any hints of pullet or roo?

This is a Golden Comet. She's the same age as the other chicks and since we know she's a she I thought she'd be good to cpmpare.
    [​IMG]

Cornish cross? Leghorn? It's legs are thick...and it's big...but it's not as hideous as I hear them often described so I wonder if it's a cornish cross...
    [​IMG]

This one is really confusing...It looked different than the sex link pullet I bought...it had some white on it's face and a little whitish yellow on it's chest and belly...It's now growing some reddish feathers, but not nearly as many as the black sex link, it's legs are also a different color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Not sure, but I think number 3 is a vulture. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG] It is ugly!

4. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    He is a bit scary in his face view. So far they look like pullets. They all have about the same size comb.

5. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:[​IMG] It is ugly!

Awwwww, she's (?) kinda cute! The pose in the first pic of her makes her look particularly vultureish. [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hopefully #3 is a Black Australorp pullet. My 1 year old BA girl has some reddish feathers on her chest and someone on here called it "smut." I'll post some chick pics of her later if you want me to.

7. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I'd love to see some pics! I showed some pictures of it as a chick and a few people guessed JG or BA. I would be happy with either (as long as it's a pullet!)

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Here she is when she was about 8 weeks old (if I'm remembering correctly.) Notice the white spot beside her eye, your chick has the same thing.
    [​IMG]

Here is a better body shot of her during her ugly stage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here she is a coule of months older, when I first noticed the smut on her chest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is how she looks now. (Those aren't her eggs, they're my bantam girls' eggs.... they all share a nest box.)
    [​IMG]

I really hope that is what yours is. I [​IMG] my Betty, she is so sweet. She's a great layer of large brown eggs too!! [​IMG]

Edited to add.... I just noticed that yours has yellowish looking legs. Hmmm, Australorps have slate legs. [​IMG] Can you get a good leg shot of yours. How old is yours?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    She could be a black sex link. Ours had varying degrees of brown - one of them is almost all black. A couple of them had yellow & slate legs, instead of completely slate. They are very ugly as chicks, but turn out to be quite pretty. I was just noticing today how pretty my 17 week old black sexlinks have become. Their black feathers have that same green shimmer the austrolorps have and the red with the black is also quite striking. They've also filled out so they no longer have that vulture look to them - finally.

A couple of my vultures at about 1 month:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo shows how much a black sexlink can vary in the amount of brown it can have - all 5 of these velociraptor looking chicks are black sexlinks. Notice the one in front has a little yellow in her legs.
    [​IMG]

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I think the black one is a black sexlink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by