What am I??

HennyJenny

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Bennington, NE
What the heck are they? I bought them at tractor supply - they are just huge! I originally thought they were black sex-link hens but they exhibit all the symptoms of being roos. They have both always been bigger than all of my other birds the same age.

about 13 weeks old - about two to three times the size of the other standard birds the same age. Is bigger than my 1 year old fattest tallest BO. Has not been caught crowing but engages in rooster "play" with other known roosters. Has black legs. Has greenish sheen to black feathers - a lot of copper at the hackles and head only.

46136_picture_2114.jpg

Has been busted crowing. -about two to three times the size of the other standard birds the same age. Is bigger than my 1 year old fattest tallest BO. Has black legs. Has greenish sheen to black feathers - some minimal copper at the hackles and head.

46136_picture_2117.jpg

Well, the first one definetly looks like a black sex link but that comb & wattle is awfully big for a 13 weeks old. Mine will be 14 weeks this Sunday and don't have anything any where's close that.
idunno.gif
So i'm not really sure!!

Missi

they are what they call a black star which is a cross between a RIR and a Barred Rock the first pic i say it is a hen becasue of the redish/copper color around their necks and the second is a roo because of the color around his neck it is all black i have 2 of these chickens both of mine are hens

Yay Countrygirl!!! Thank you! I know they came from Privett but Privett doesn't have an online catalog (that I can find). Are yours super big? These have just been huge from the day they got to TSC. I thought for a longtime they might be Jersey Giants until I read that Jerseys didn't mature as quickly as other birds. Then I thought black sex links because of the color - but then I caught the one crowing and I just didn't know.

mine are only about 4 weeks old and they are getting big really fast they are suppose to weigh up to 8 to 10 lbs when grown the only ones of my chickens i am not sure on is 2 of my americaunas and one of my RIR i am sure the RIR is a roo but the other two i have to wait till they get bigger and the only reason i know my 3 black stars are hens is because of color they start laying eggs any where from 15 to 20 weeks old and can lay 5 eggs a week i hope i helped you with your question as i know more about the black stars then any other breed of chicken becasue they are beautiful and my fav

Back
Top Bottom