What am I??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HennyJenny, Jun 17, 2010.

1. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    What the heck are they? I bought them at tractor supply - they are just huge! I originally thought they were black sex-link hens but they exhibit all the symptoms of being roos. They have both always been bigger than all of my other birds the same age.

about 13 weeks old - about two to three times the size of the other standard birds the same age. Is bigger than my 1 year old fattest tallest BO. Has not been caught crowing but engages in rooster "play" with other known roosters. Has black legs. Has greenish sheen to black feathers - a lot of copper at the hackles and head only.

[​IMG]

Has been busted crowing. -about two to three times the size of the other standard birds the same age. Is bigger than my 1 year old fattest tallest BO. Has black legs. Has greenish sheen to black feathers - some minimal copper at the hackles and head.

[​IMG]

2. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    The first one's a hen. The second one looks like a young roo...

3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Quote:Any idea what breed of either? They almost have to be the same breed - just have no idea what that is?

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Well, the first one definetly looks like a black sex link but that comb & wattle is awfully big for a 13 weeks old. Mine will be 14 weeks this Sunday and don't have anything any where's close that. [​IMG] So i'm not really sure!!

Missi

5. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    they are what they call a black star which is a cross between a RIR and a Barred Rock the first pic i say it is a hen becasue of the redish/copper color around their necks and the second is a roo because of the color around his neck it is all black i have 2 of these chickens both of mine are hens

6. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Yay Countrygirl!!! Thank you! I know they came from Privett but Privett doesn't have an online catalog (that I can find). Are yours super big? These have just been huge from the day they got to TSC. I thought for a longtime they might be Jersey Giants until I read that Jerseys didn't mature as quickly as other birds. Then I thought black sex links because of the color - but then I caught the one crowing and I just didn't know.

7. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Black Star is a Black Sex Link

Missi

8. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    mine are only about 4 weeks old and they are getting big really fast they are suppose to weigh up to 8 to 10 lbs when grown the only ones of my chickens i am not sure on is 2 of my americaunas and one of my RIR i am sure the RIR is a roo but the other two i have to wait till they get bigger and the only reason i know my 3 black stars are hens is because of color they start laying eggs any where from 15 to 20 weeks old and can lay 5 eggs a week i hope i helped you with your question as i know more about the black stars then any other breed of chicken becasue they are beautiful and my fav

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by