What am I?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FeatheredObsessions, Aug 9, 2010.

1. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    this duck was dropped of as a day or two old. He was found in the road with a cat on top of him. When he came to us he was fluffy with no quills even in the wings yet. He was the mallard striped colors. Now this is him? He is MUCH larger than our mallard. Any thoughts about what he is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    You have one beautiful muskovy - wish he/she was mine!

3. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Hummm.... wonder what he was doing in the middle of the highway. I thought for sure it would be Mallard cause we have them in the roads everywhere but he is HUGE! and colors are wrong. And his nose funny. Muskovy...hmmmm. Guess I need a Musckovy girl

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Is that a him? Maybe his little carunkles just haven't formed yet, but that looks like a hen right now.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Beautiful Blue Muscovy. It does, by size, look to be a Male but i would need to see more pics to be sure. He is still very young though, maybe 4 months? the caruncles are just barely showing. Just gorgeous though, glad you were able to take him in and give him a good home [​IMG]

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    What a beautiful bird.
    It must be a muscovey.
    Look how he loves the camera with his eyes!
    [​IMG]

7. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I got him on 6-7 ... they found him two days before that.... 6-5. When I got him it had zero signs of feathers coming in at all. Not e ven his wings so I figure him to be recently hatched. Currently he would be Just over 2 months old. He is already bigger than my adult runners and twice the size of out mallard hen. He doesn't quack when chased, picked up, etc so I'm thinking boy but could be wrong. He barely makes a sound at all. Doesn't help he is the laziest thing I have ever seen. The lays constantly and never stands. He will watch the other ducks walk somewhere and when they settle down to eat or rest he'll get up but not till they stop moving and settle on a spot. He cracks me up. He lays to drink water from the pond while the others all stand. He's too funny [​IMG]

8. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    my scovies are also lazy!! I also just recently found out (on BYC!!) that they don't quack.....they make a neat little "trill" noise - so much for voice sexing!! Mine were laying down to eat and drink - I also found out that they like to roost - I put two branches through the side of our new duck pen (chain link dog kennel) and they immediately made themselves at home on them - won't even look at the houses any more!!

9. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Soooooo Maybe you all are right about it looking female. I'd like a hen. Don't have the mates for her/him though [​IMG] OH darn I might have to hatch some eggs [​IMG] Lazy fits right in but it doesn't perch....yet.

10. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Looks like a Muscovy hen. My little Muscovy drake is only about 3 months old and has more caruncles than that. His sister hatched the same time, and she barely has any caruncles. I am betting a nice sized hen. Very, very pretty too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by