What Am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ElioraImmanuel, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    I received 21 chicks in June. I was meant to receive 20. I rec'd 5 Light Brahmas, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 10 Ameraucans. What is our Princesses breed?

She has bearded cheeks and is gorgeous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010

2. burquechick

burquechick Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ameraucana. Are you sure she is not a he though? Do you have any idea how old they are? The comb is awfully red to be that small....

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    She is an EE or "Ameraucana"

She is very pretty.

4. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    It looks quite red in the pic, but it's not so IRL. She's 10 weeks old, today.

5. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    is she from a hatchery? if so she is an easter egger.

6. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Why is she considered EE if she's from a hatchery?

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Its an Easter Egger,most people have EEs and believe them to be Ameraucana cause the hatchery said it was.even if the got chicks or eggs from back yard breeders the are most likely EEs.An Easter Egger is any chicken that possesses the "blue egg" gene, but doesn't fully meet any breed description as defined in the American Poultry Association (APA)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Egger

Gives a general idea of what the different APA/ABA varieties of Ameraucana look like.
    http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

8. henney penny

henney penny Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    She is a EE.This is my whitie that I found dead one mornig for no apparent reason,I felt so bad she just feel off the roost while sleeping and her eyes were still closed,I`m thinking heart att[​IMG]ack.

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Songster

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    She's very pretty. I just got 2 EE pullets this weekend, and I really love them! One is blue, and the other is brown-red (I think). Have fun with yours![​IMG]

10. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    So, even if my chicken is truly descended from Ameraucanas, breeds true 50% of the time or better, she is considered lesser than an Ameraucans because someone, somewhere decided that only certain colors will be recognized? What if my chicks come from a cross or multiple matings of 2 or more true Ameraucanas? So what if the color that they produce isn't recognized. Isn't it Ameraucana + Ameraucana = Ameraucana. It's not like Ameraucana + Name your breed = Mixed. From the history I understand that the Ameraucanas aren't pure, anyway?

We breed alpacas. When a pure suri is bred to a pure suri, they produce pure suri. If the cria is not show quality that doesn't make it any less suri.

Wow, the ABA history sounds like a bad soap opera! So much contention. How sad.
    The ABA has a list of approved colors, but the breeders listed sell, splash, lavender, mottled etc. Why aren't those birds considered EE's?

Here's 2 more pics of my Amerikana's w/my oldest DD...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by