What am I.....

jrsqlc

Obsessed with Peafowl
12 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Northwest Ohio
I just got a few birds and im new to peafowl so i would like to know what color/pattern these birds are.
Thanks Again BYC

My Peacock
46025_dscf0776.jpg

I was told he is a PURE India Blue and was registered at birth, I didnt ask for the paperwork, Should I??

One of his Peahens, was told white but mixed with ??
46025_dscf0774.jpg

46025_dscf0775.jpg

And his other Peahen, I was told Black Shoulder
46025_dscf0773.jpg

first off, congrats on your new adventure!!! we have absolutely fallen in love with all our peafowl! they are just wonderful.

many, many, MANY more experienced than I but I do have bs and blue and to me, that first one (your male) looks like a bs yearling, just getting the dark blackshoulder feathering now. The second and thrid pics of the peahen, she looks to be bs and the last one looks like india blue. very, very nice looking birds.

here is a pic of an IB hen, she's about a year.
31148_dsc_0657.jpg

here is a shot of the ib pair together, male on left. (this pair is split to white, see the white wing feathers in this pic?).
31148_dsc_0654.jpg

this is an india blue male, note the barring on his back, yours looks to be coming in solid.
31148_dsc_0693.jpg

31148_dsc_0701.jpg

here is a bs hen, she's about 3.
31148_dsc_0118.jpg

here is a close up of my adult bs, he is one HANDSOME fella and he is the alpha male too!
love.gif
I don't have any pics uploaded of his back but the feathering is all black in color.
31148_dsc_0738.jpg

All I have to say is "WOW!"

Okay I have more to say
big_smile.png

Those are the prettiest birds. Absolutely stunning! Even the little BS Hen that isn't all sparkly and colorful like the boys is just beautiful.

WOW
love.gif

I'd agree, top one IS an India blue... the person was not lying. However, he is a blackshoulder india blue. I can't see his wing edges, but is that a spot of white I see? Another picture of his wings would be nice.

The second bird is in no way shape or form a white unless it's split to white. That looks to be a blackshoulder female... a white mixed with anything will not dirty the white or look like a mixed breed.

The third probably is an regular india blue female.

May I direct you to Peafowl 101 and welcome you to the peafowl forums! Pretty birds
smile.png

Quote:
A pic of His wing:
46025_dscf0778.jpg

And a pic of the white ones wing:
46025_dscf0780.jpg

I have done a ton of reading on peafowl, but nothing is better than experience!! Esp since there are 185 color/pattern variations!!

Quote:
I was told the Male was 3 this spring and his hens were 2, and that they both layed and hatched this year.
He had a few train feathers left, but one 1 when we got home from our 3 hour drive. It was at least 3-4 feet long.

Last edited:
No white on those primaries, which means he's either pure blue or he is split to something other than white (unlikely).

And she definitely looks like a blackshoulder peahen to me! They should make you some pretty babies next spring.

Quote:
He is a Black shoulder. Any black shoulder is "pure" for the black shoulder gene. bs bred with bs always gives 100% black shoulder.

Never heard of peafowl being registered.. sounds like um, BS.. with the different meaning. Maybe meant recorded- some breeders keep records but it is for personal use.. there's no 'national system' like AKC for dogs.. if they claimed this male is a pure India Blue.. that's way, way off.

One of his Peahens, was told white but mixed with ??

Normal black shoulder peahen.

All black shoulders are born looking "white" but you usually can see a slight cream tint on wings. They progressively get more color as they grow up.. females end up like this- mostly white with streaks of blacks/grays. Males continue to get more color until fully mature.. the ages given seem about right- the male looks 3 years old or older. (p.s. bs yearling males still have a lot of white and off color streaks on the wings. some two year olds will too)

And his other Peahen, I was told Black Shoulder

This one is India Blue peahen. Since she came with the others, it may be possible she carries the black shoulder gene. This peahen bred with your black shoulder will either throw 100% Blue looking chicks if she's not a carrier of the bs gene.. or 1/2 Blue and 1/2 BS chicks if she does carry the gene. (carriers are known as splits in the peafowl world).​

Yep either a little BS or they just don't know. Newbe sometimes think Blackshoulder are white mix. I keep records but yes personal records. Sure their paper work would be worthest, because they don't even know which hen was the blackshoulder.

I don't see any white split.
Good thing , nice looking birds , guess age 3 yr.

ok pattern is blackshoulder .......color blue

blackshoulders do come in other colors

Last edited:
Quote:
The guy I got them from said they bought the IB Male then the following spring they bought the yearling hens from some older lady who claimed to breed them and pheasants her whole life. As you stated, Im thinking more BS and not Blackshoulder!!

Now this Older Breeder also said you can sex day old peafowl and pheasants by the males having a dot under one of its eyes?
Has anyone heard of this or is this more BS??

Well even know they didnt know what the birds were, they still look great to me!!! (my 1st peafowl) And I didnt pay a whole lot for them!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom