what am i ????

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by lobo307, May 11, 2011.

1. lobo307

lobo307 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    can anyone tell me the sex and type of guinea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry about the quality of the pics, ill upload more if i need to

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Looks like a sun-bleached Chocolate to me, possibly a Blonde. Does it have any pearling or barring in the flank area and on it's wing feathers?
    As far as sex... I can't tell from the pics. I see it has small flat wattles like a Hen should have, but that doesn't always mean it's a Hen. Have you heard the bird buck-wheating? Only females make that 2 syllable call. Also, Hens tend to have a bustle (a raised area on the hind end, between the wings).

3. lobo307

lobo307 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    no pearl or barring that i can see. ill try to get better pics tomorrow

4. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Ok if there's no pearling or baring at all then I'd guess it to be a Pewter, but different breeders call different colors by different names... lol [​IMG]

Did you raise it from a keet? If so what did the keet look like? (describe the stripes and colors if you can).

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. BAMACK2

BAMACK2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Spring Lake NC
    Look like a female

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hen

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What makes you two so definitively say hen on this bird? It is nearly impossible to determine the sex of a guinea by looks alone. Going by the size of the 'helmet' I would say male, I've not seen any females with such a 'high' helmet. The wattles look rather flat but they don't look like a hen's. I have some males with flat wattles but the shape of them is different.

8. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have to listen to the darn things to find out how many of each sex I have... [​IMG]

9. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Depending on the age of this bird, it could be an older Hen with a well developed helmet/casque. I've seen some pretty tall helmets on some older Hens, and I attribute that to being controlled by genetics. I can't tell from these pics, but the nostrils on a female Guinea Fowls are less prominent than on the males. And as mentioned before I do not see a bustle. I have 25 Hens, from 3 different blood lines, they ALL have the bustles on their hind ends that I mentioned. Their wattles vary too (another characteristic controlled by genetics), they all are flat in my flock, but some are different shapes. Some rounded, some are pointed etc. And I have seen Hens with very cupped large wattles, like a male. Also, the female Guinea Fowl's stance is not as upright as that of the male, and this Guinea looks like it's standing especially tall, long and lean like a male in the first pic, but not so much in the 2nd pic. I am leaning towards male at this point tho, but I need better pics to give a more definitive opinion. Hopefully lobo posts some more pics... or confirms that the bird makes the Buck-Wheat call.

10. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    Its definatly a female!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by