1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by confusedturtle, Jun 8, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I was told when I purchased him/her that this was a plymouth rock and a hen, I have since been told otherwise. Trying to figure out for sure what he/she is. This shows his coloring
    [​IMG]
    Close up
    [​IMG]
    and the last one
    [​IMG]
    Iam pretty sure he is a he but I want to be sure what breed he is before we try to find him a new home. Chickens arent allowed here and my neighbor is ok with them as long as we have no roo's, which means this guy needs to find a new home [​IMG] Hubby is flat out against eating him since this has been his favorite since we bought him. He sometimes acts like the girls at times (hiding when there is a loud noise or whatever) but they do seem to follow him quite a bit so I am very sure he is a roo. His coloring has changed to a more buff coloring, the pic doesn't do him justice, when we got him he was almost pure white. What do you think

**edited** he got dirty just before the pic, I gave them a lil spray down with a water bottle and they have all been in the dust bath most of the day [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    whered you get him? i dont know all that much, but i bet its a crossbred chicken

3. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    We bought him from a private seller in our area. He had 13 RIR and ordered what he said was RIR's (and all hens) from a hatchery, he said his friend gave him a bunch of Plymouth rock chicks (possibly a week older than his) but he was assured they were all hens. He said he has been doing this for over 25 years and that all of the ones he sold me were hens, I took his word for it [​IMG]

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Could you post a pic of his back half so we can see the tail and if there are saddle feathers. Looks like a white leghorn to me.

5. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    LoL I feel dumb now I never even really noticed his fluffy tail feathers until I took this picture.
    [​IMG]

6. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would say pullet from the looks of that pic. As for the breed i have no idea very fat for a leghorn.

7. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG]:fl:fl:fl Oh I hope it is a pullet! We were so sad when we were told it was a roo, it is hubby's & my youngest daughters favorite of all of our chicks! [​IMG]:fl:fl:fl I will do a pullet dance until it crows, so happy I asked again before getting rid of her...or him LoL!

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Looks like a pullet to me too. [​IMG]

9. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh I hope so! YaY! [​IMG]

10. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010