What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ElsaM, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ElsaM

ElsaM New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    I was given this chicken and thought it was a Barred Rock. Now I am starting to doubt that. Is it some sort of mix? Also pullet or rooster? It is about 7 weeks old and has extremely pale legs. Thanks for any info!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a mix, probably had a Cuckoo Marans or BR sire since there is barely a hint of barring, but hard to say for sure. at this point, looks like a girl. Definitely not a pure Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans, in any case. That'd be my guess. I've had some similar pullets from a BR rooster over an Ameraucana hen, giving the chick a hint of barring and white skin.

3. ElsaM

ElsaM New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks for the response! I'm really hoping it's a girl. It's a nice chicken, but kind or funny looking.

4. ElsaM

ElsaM New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    I was given this chicken the same time I was given the other one. It's also about 7 weeks old. I'm guessing another mix, but of what? I'm pretty new to chickens and am clueless about breeds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, thanks for any and all input!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm with Cynthia on the first--a mix. On the second bird, what color legs does she have, and is that a straight comb?

6. ElsaM

ElsaM New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    It has yellowish legs and a straight comb. Thanks!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The first chicken is a cuckoo marans--looks exactly like my 14 week old hatchery stock bird--whitish pink legs, faded gray barring and single comb. My barred rocks have a much prettier coloring, but the marans lay a nice dark brown egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by