what am I

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by foothillsfiber, Feb 21, 2012.

1. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    I got a surprise special from ideal in January . The chicks are now 6 weeks old. I think I know who are cockerels and pullets but I don't know all the breeds .I know that I have 2 barred rock, 3 black australlorpes ,think I have 2 silver laced wyandottes, so what I don't know are the reds, dark and light, particularly the light red with dark flecks in the neck and tail, and the white, not pure white but with some cream. so give me your best guesses.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That white one may be a sex link cockeral. I'll bet he gets red on the wings soon.

3. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yes, definitly a he

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    prodution reds maybe and red sexlinks agian a maybe...you sure those are barred rocks they look like they have more of a cuckoo patteren, do they have straight combs or rose combs (rose comb woukd be a dom). also one of the barred ones has white legs which says its a cuckoo marans instead. bottom of the feet on the pure black ones will tell you what they are either a black assuie or jg. i think its pink/white for the ba and yellow for the jg.

im not really sure i could be totally wrong but those are my thoughts :)

5. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    No i am not sure that they are barred rocks. They were mostly black with light spot on their head when just hatched, they have single comb, i am not familiar with cuckoos, i do have 2 with rose comb i think, i thought those were slw. The pure blk i ordered as blk aust. Thanks for the help

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana

the barred one with yellow legs would be a barred rock and the one with white legs will probley be a cuckoo marans :) 2 of them do look like slw (idk if its the same cockerel in both pics, 3rd pic with the black and white one closet to the fencing)

7. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    As babies the barred ones had black down the front of the legs. I will take a better look at their legs and maybe better pics tomorrow

8. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    Any guess on the buff one with dark flecks on the neck in the fourth pic

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Bufff Brahma - looks like feathers on the leg. If there are no feathers, then a buff columbian wyandotte - does ideal carry those?
    The white looks like it's a pea comb? which would make it a white wyandotte. Or it could be a white leghorn (ideal 238) or Rhode Island white if it's a straight comb.
    The SLW with the white wings is definitely a cockeral.

10. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    All have single combs except the slws. All are clean legged. Thanks fo the help. Now i can look at photos and compare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by