What am I???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey all, Im having a hard time thinking on what colours these little one are, if you can help me that would be awesome:
    All are white breast to bottom and also almost 2 weeks old (Weds is 2 weeks)
    This little guy's back looks grey in the picture, but its a Blueish grey.
    Chick #1[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chick #2 [​IMG]

Chick #3 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    your links are not working for me :\

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Quail colors I can't do, but IMG tags gone astray...I think we can beat those into shape:

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

Chick#3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 is stunning! Eager to hear what that one is. :)

4. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

chick one looks like one of those light/red tuxedos, the other chicks are tuxedos - I'm not great a differenciating between the slight differences in tuxedo/range/tibetan colours but they are all of the tuxedo type at any rate :)

5. Tikkajazz94

Thanks :D I also got told by a friend that the first chick might be a Blue Tuxedo? Sorry for the links not working :/ I sorta had to Post and turn off the computer. Sorry for the bad pics, they where running around a lot. Holding them wasn't making a difference. I will try to take better pics of these little guys today.

6. jbobs

yeah it's hard to tell from the photo just what shade that first one is. By blue I assume they mean slate or silver. Sometimes you can get a shade of slate that's a little cinnamin too and it makeskind of a brownish gray colour.

7. Tikkajazz94

Yah. Interesting. Well, I relooked at this little one, it has blueish/grey, than has like a tib or a wild type down the middle, or something to that degree. Its jsut coming in, so it wouldn't have been there yesterday when I took pics

8. jbobs

cool I bet he is a slate coloured one then! I had one once like that, very neat looking bird!

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    #1 is either a

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb Ywyw+ Ee+ Pipi+
    Scarlet (italian) Tuxedo

or a

Wh+Wh+ brbbrb YwYw Ee+ Pipi+
    Scarlet Manchurian Tuxedo

scarlet is:

homozygous wildtype at the "white" loci= Wh+Wh+

homozygous Roux at the "brown" loci = brbbrb

either heterozygous or homozygous at the "yellow" loci Ywyw+ or YwYw but not wildtype

heterozygous Tibetan at the "red" loci= Ee+

and carries the tux gene, heterozygous at the "pied" loci= Pipi+

Scarlets do not breed true because of the 1 copy of the gene at the "yellow" and "red" loci

breeding 2 scarlets would yield birds with 0, 1 and 2 copies of the genes at both the yellow and red loci

birds with 0 copies will be roux italians and roux manchurians, 1 copies are your scarlets (italian or manchurian) , 2 copies will give you a red (italian and manchurian)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    or maybe a red italian tuxedo or red manchurian tuxedo, got better pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by