What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCcountrylivin, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NCcountrylivin

NCcountrylivin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    What am I? and What should I do?

I'm a first time chicken owner. Last fall a friend gave me a rooster (Barred Rock) and 3 hens. Well my dogs managed to get to the hens :( and left my poor rooster all alone. I reinforced my pen and this spring bought some chicks. I went to Tractor Supply and took my daughter with me. I bought 5 pullets and one black straight run. My daughter begged me for one of the black ones. Taking my chances I agreed. I forgot all about asking what they were. Anyone want to help me? I'm guessing an Australorp maybe? So now I'm thinking he's turning out to be a cockerel. I have nothing to compare him to. And what am I going to do with 2 roosters? Could they possibly get along together since they are growing up together?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    My experience with my oegb rooster has been that if I put chicks (sepparated from the older chickens by wire, of course) in the coop, before the roosters start to crow, they get along. Well, he tolerates most of them, more honestly. However his son (who I hatched in the 'bator and raised across the property until he was old enough to go outside) and him sleep, eat, attack me, free range, dust bath, sit on the roof, and do everything else together.

3. NCcountrylivin

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    Well that's some good news. They are all in the pen together now. I didn't mention that Roo Roo's crowing got so bad that I went and bought 2 older laying hens. So the 3 of them hang out together and the 6 chicks hang out. But I'm still wondering if he looks like a boy or girl?

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    The TSC by our house had australorps and black jersey giants. I found this in the breed description for jersey giants:

Jersey Giants’ legs are black, the bottoms of their feet being yellow. Australorps’ legs are black, the bottoms being pinkish-white.

So which kind did you get?! I can't tell if it is a boy or girl [​IMG]

5. roosterjrm

roosterjrm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Definetly looks like a astrolorpe, and roosters that start off together while young get along good unless you ever seperate them even if its just for one day, go figure, lol

6. NCcountrylivin

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    I'll look tomorrow and will let you know.

7. NCcountrylivin

Nov 14, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    Even if one is full grown and the other a youngster? So does "it" look like a cockerel? or is it still too early. I noticed "he" has started developing wattles, where as none of the others have. Of course I have nothing to compare "him" to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by