What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shelbydog, Aug 3, 2013.

1. shelbydog

shelbydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    [​IMG]
    Is this an oriental gamefowl or gamefowl mix? Someone said it is a saipan or another oriental gamefowl. It does have a brow and no comb but I couldn't find this color pattern in oriental gamefowl. It is not aggressive. I don't know it's age. The guy I got 2 Wyandotte youngsters (advertised as 12 week old I think) gave it to me for free. I thought it was a GLW going through a scrawny stage but I've had for a little over a month and it has not rounded out.

2. shelbydog

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    [​IMG]

3. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Aseel just a guess as I know next nothing about game breeds.

Young Dark Cornish

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Thai, is likely, it is too long and tall to be a Cornish.

Thai Hen
    [​IMG]

Shamo hen
    [​IMG]

Cornish hen (not the greatest picture, but you can tell they are thick and stocky)
    [​IMG]

5. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    It looks like it may be crossed with a Wyandotte, because of the partial lacing and what looks like a rose comb.

It is a hen though, she is beautiful [​IMG]

6. shelbydog

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    I'm kinda thinking its a shamo/Wyandotte cross too. The guy I got it from was turning over birds he got from a flock sell out and I remembered later on today he mentioned there being a lot of game birds there and I'm familiar with the person who bought the game birds. I reached out to them to see if they could id and they said shamo mix. They are reaching out to the original flock owner to get more info about this one. She is a spunky one for sure. So far not aggressive. She's bottom of pecking order as far as I can tell. But I am concerned that will change as she matures. I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks for finding beauty in this 'ugly duckling'. LOL. I've been really expecting her to go through a transformation and round out but I guess she's got no where to go but up. LOL. I'll take good care of her and it'll be interesting to see mature into an adult.

7. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I love oriental games, wish they weren't so expensive to get, I have a few Malays and Thais. I love the long tall birds

8. shelbydog

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok

I guess I did good b/c I got her for free. I'll post an update if I get more info about her origins.

9. shelbydog

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    farmerchef, I'm being told she's all shamo.

10. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Shamos have pea combs, its 3 little rows of bumps if you didnt know already.
    In the second picture it looks like she has a rose comb, but it may just be the lighting. She has the right body type to be pure, if she was crossed, I think she would be fluffier because of the wyandottes loose feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by