What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by foreverlearning, Aug 10, 2013.

1. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    OK, I bought this cutie as a pullet because I thought she was soo cute. I have tried to find out what she is or possibly see if she is mixed. Problem is, I can't find anything that looks like her, the closest I have found was a Sebright but she is really the wrong color. She is 7 1/2 months old in the picture and just finished a molt.
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Seems like there is some Easter Egger there.

3. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Cool, thank you. She is so tiny it kills me that she rules my coop with an iron fist, but she is not mean. I have have RIR, Langshan, and Jersey giants that listen to her. She is the last to come in to my coop and is always near my rooster that I have no clue what he is or how old he is. He was a rescue:
    [​IMG]
    He is still in molt and lost the tail feathers last night, the black part usually goes up and fan down to the ground. He looks funny without them. He was wet from the rain in this photo, so he is having a "bad hair" day

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your rooster looks to be part silkie.

What color eggs does that hen lay? I'm not seeing anything screaming Easter egger, and from the color of the comb wonder if she has silkie farther back in her parentage. She just looks like a pretty mixed breed hen to me.

5. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    She hasn't laid any eggs for me yet. I have only had her for a two months and am basing her age on what the seller said. When I bought her she had a bad case of louse and a mild case of scaly leg mites. I am not sure if she had worms, but she looked weak so I treated her for all three. I used valbazen, flock protector, poultry dust, vitamin/mineral supplement and acv in water, coconut oil for two weeks straight, and lots of baths. She is a little flighty but sweet. She also went threw a molt about a week after the last round of treatments. She was by herself split between two temp coops and an isolated yard for the treatments. She just met my flock two weeks ago and took charge, so I hope to get eggs from her soon. I think she was lonely for that long but I had to get her to full health before she met my RIR's, they are not kind to weak ones.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she's a cutie no matter what she is

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you know what kind of comb she has? If we are guessing what kind of mix could be sumatra or andalusian also. She is a really pretty color, looks like you did a wonderful job of bringing her back to good health. How big is the rooster?

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like maybe a blue sumatra if she has a pea comb

9. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Not sure what it is called, but her comb is really short and narrow. He is about half the size of my RIR's. I will try to get another picture for measurement and a close up of her comb. She is a little camera shy but she always flys to the window at 7:30, I'll post it then.

10. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    The smoker they are standing on is 10 inches from the platform to the top. They are both small and feel like a bag of bones in weight compared to the of the flock, however they have good muscle mass and a full crop. I started putting oil coconut oil (1st press) on his feet a few months ago because they looked callused when I got him, who knew that would grow feathers there?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by