What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by funny farmer, Oct 11, 2013.

1. funny farmer

funny farmer Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2012
    Aberdeen, Washington
    [​IMG]
    This is "Lil Red", the newest addition to the Funny Farm Flock. We acquired her from the neighbors. I guess she decided she was safer with us than her former home, as raccoons wiped out the rest of their flock. She was the last of their flock and I think she was lonely. She started hanging out with our flock while they free ranged starting about a week ago. Then a couple of days ago, she entered the coop and seemed to make herself at home. So after having the neighbor's blessing to keep her, we've welcomed her into our hearts and home. Any one know what breed she might be? she has a really sweet disposition and even lets me pick her up and pet her. She's getting along really well with her coop mates, but then she had been free ranging with them during the day for about a week before she entered our coop. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    She is a redsexlink . Great layers

Gold Sex Link
    What's in a name? A lot with this breed. It's not really a breed at all but a cross bred specifically so that males and females are different colors when they hatch. A match resulting in a hen somewhat like the one on the left starts with a red rooster (either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire).
    Depending on the combination, the name changes. I think I'm getting Golden Comets. Here are the possibilities:
    White Plymouth Rock and a New Hampshire = Golden Comet.
    A Silver Laced Wyandotte and a New Hampshire = Cinnamon Queen
    Rhode Island White and Red = Red Sex Link
    Delaware and Production Red = Gold Sex Link
    And then some hatcheries call them Red Stars. Whew! Anyway you don't get more sex link chickens by breeding them together. To make more, you need to cross 2 different breeds from the list above.
    ALBC Status: NA since the breed is not recognized by the American Poultry Association.
    These chickens are prolific layers of large brown eggs. In fact, most of the brown eggs sold in the grocery market come from these hens.
    Feather color is golden to red with white feathers peaking through in the neck and tail. They have single combs, reddish brown eyes, and yellow legs.

Male chicks are a soft light yellow while females are reddish in color.
    Considered a heavy breed, mature hens weigh between 4 and 6 pounds depending on breeding.

and very friendly.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

4. funny farmer

May 12, 2012
    Aberdeen, Washington
    I thought that's what she might be, but wasn't sure. Doesn't matter either way, she's a keeper, But it's fun to know. thanks a bunch :)

5. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    You are welcome. I have 1 RSL she is my favorite bird. Just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I get an egg a day from her.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, she's a beautiful Red Sex-Link!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

8. funny farmer

May 12, 2012
    Aberdeen, Washington
    So just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a golden sex link and a red sex link. A variation of the red coloring?

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Variation of the coloring and "sometimes" the difference of the parents used. Usually a Golden-sex link is from a Buff Orpington Cockerel x White Plymouth Rock hen. A Red Sex-link is a Rhode Island Red cockerel over a White Plymouth Rock (or sometimes) Delaware hen. Usually with hatcheries, they just put in light colored Production Red birds and you'll get a whole lot of variation from a single bird.

10. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Gold Sex Link
    What's in a name? A lot with this breed. It's not really a breed at all but a cross bred specifically so that males and females are different colors when they hatch. A match resulting in a hen somewhat like the one on the left starts with a red rooster (either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire).
    Depending on the combination, the name changes. I think I'm getting Golden Comets. Here are the possibilities:
    White Plymouth Rock and a New Hampshire = Golden Comet.
    A Silver Laced Wyandotte and a New Hampshire = Cinnamon Queen
    Rhode Island White and Red = Red Sex Link
    Delaware and Production Red = Gold Sex Link
    And then some hatcheries call them Red Stars. Whew! Anyway you don't get more sex link chickens by breeding them together. To make more, you need to cross 2 different breeds from the list above.
    ALBC Status: NA since the breed is not recognized by the American Poultry Association.
    These chickens are prolific layers of large brown eggs. In fact, most of the brown eggs sold in the grocery market come from these hens.
    Feather color is golden to red with white feathers peaking through in the neck and tail. They have single combs, reddish brown eyes, and yellow legs.

Male chicks are a soft light yellow while females are reddish in color.
    Considered a heavy breed, mature hens weigh between 4 and 6 pounds depending on breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by