1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ausash, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I bought this chick along with 11 others from the feed store in May (they were day olds that they got on May 18th) and they told me she was a Ameracauna and they usually buy from Ideal and some other hatchery (maybe mountain something not one I have heard of before). I am trying to figure out what she really is as her feathers have come in fluffy like a silkie, her wing feathers are sort of split on the ends and she does have a pea comb and she has started to get a few feathers on her legs. Does anybody have a clue what Frazzle might be? Sorry the pictures aren't that great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickenaddict/

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

That's neat! She could be a silkie Easter Egger. Silkie feathering can show up in any breed and EE's generally have a lot of different genetics invovled.

Any other guesses? [​IMG]

3. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Well I have always wanted a silkie so I guess a cross of one could be kind of neat. At least she will be a conversation piece.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I have NO Idea what she is...but she sure is pretty. I cant waite to see how she feathers out completely! Gonna be a looker for sure!

5. LaneyAngel

LaneyAngel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Australia
    I have a hen that is very similiar in appearance to that. Her flight feathers are the same kind of shredded looking wings, and her body is covered in fluff, but not like a purebred Silky.

I know mine personally is a Silky X something though, because she still has the puffy bit on top of her head that silkies have! I just don't know WHAT she's crossed with.

She's the reddishy browny one in the middle:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    looks like a hatchery silkie

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    It looks like a silkied easter egger. I was just noticing the throwbacks that pop up like that are odd. What I mean is like this past year lots of people got rumpless chickens from pure flocks. A couple years back there were lots of stubs. I wonder if this year will be the "year of the silkie" throwbacks.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:the op's bird looks like that, I totally agree
    I was talking about LaneyAngel's bird looks like a hatchery silkie

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I agree, the op's bird is what I said and the other bird pictured looks like a normal hatchery silkie.

10. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Looks like a wire haired terrier [​IMG]

Honestly it looks like a silkie mixed with a frizzle. I am no expert though. It definitely looks like half silkie though. Very cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by