What an education!

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
I have wanted chickens for almost ten years, and have studied them--all the breeds, how to raise them, etc.--for at least seven. But reading and forum research is NOTHING compared to just having them and learning from the chickens themselves! Yes, this is a 'duh!' statement, but wow. For a rank noobie, it's quite an education.

Not down-playing research. I figure if we bring a live animal of any kind into our home, we owe it the time and dedication to learn about it and what it needs to thrive. But all the things I've read don't do justice to what these little peeps teach me every day.

My chicks are about one & a half weeks old today, and pinging around their 8 x 10 coop like pinballs. So far, they dust bathe, chase bugs, and today they started chest bumping. I can spend hours just watching them.

Several of them have decided I'm essentially harmless (and the bringer of twice daily wet mash). As soon as I sit on my stool in the coop, these tiny brave souls rush to my feet, waiting to catch an elevator ride on my outstretched hand. One Delaware girl (I call her Indy, after Indiana Jones) has developed a game; ride the hand-evator up, peck at the shiny fingernails, then fly down into all her sisters--like chick bowling--from at least three feet up! Then she runs back to my feet to do it again. She'll do it four or five times before she gets tired.

Enough blathering. Just want to thank the BYC community for all the education and support, and I hope once I'm more experienced at this, I can help other noobs like me. Cheers, y'all.

Last edited:
My chicks are about one & a half weeks old today, and pinging around their 8 x 10 coop like pinballs. So far, they dust bathe, chase bugs, and today they started chest bumping. I can spend hours just watching them.

All your research has really paid off!

I have found that my chicks love having an over-sized space and use all of it as soon as I give them access (which is as soon as I'm sure they know where the heat, food, and water are).

I have found that my chicks love having an over-sized space and use all of it as soon as I give them access (which is as soon as I'm sure they know where the heat, food, and water are).
There were a couple times one would get "lost" on the wrong side of the brooder pen, so I had to make temporary blinds--they'd try to poke through the chicken wire to get through, and though they are too big to get through, I was afraid they'd hurt themselves. Now they figured out their MHP is in a separate room, and they go around.

I absolutely LOVE watching them have a dust bath! And if I hadn't been warned, seeing them sprawled out on their sides in the litter, little feet kicked out, I'd have freaked right out. :p

Back
Top Bottom