WHAT AN EMOTIONAL DAY AT THE SHELTER!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mainchick, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I work at a great shelter overall. We are very fortunate to not have to put down animals due to time contraints. We often take pets from other shelters that are too overcrowded and euthanize regularly and bring them to our shelter and get them new homes. I was in another part of CA (Norco) running chicken errands, and I decided to stop by their shelter. They have a small shelter there and they euthanize regularly. As I was there, I saw and old chihuahua. He was a handsome guy, all black with a distinguished grey muzzle. He was tiny too. Maybe 4 pounds. he was very quiet and well behaved I saw that there was some nice notes on his kennel card saying that he was very friendly and quiet the lap dog. So I couldn't help it, I went into the office and asked about him. The office people gave me some info and then asked if they could take down my phone # to contact me is he was going to be PTS (put to sleep). I agreed.......of course. So the next week, they shelter calls me thay say he is going down tomorrow, they are out of space! I ask them to please hold him one more extra day because I was going to be working all day and couldn't get there in time. they agreed to hold him. Thank goodness! My kids and I drive out to pick him up and boy is happy to see us. he KNOWS he is going somewhere! We pop him in the car and on the way home I ask my daughter to call her friend to tell her about this prcious little gem. You see, my daughters friend has had a hard year, her parents are divorced, she's having trouble with step mom. She breaks up with her first "puppy" love. On top of that, she becomes the victim of sexual abuse by her stepbrother. Her friend tells her mom about this old gentleman dog and they decide to meet us at the shelter. When they meet him, they already love him! Mom is on a budget and I work it out that he is a discount dog (senior) so the price is reduced. He has to stay and get neutered, so they all say their goodbyes and leave. A couple of days later he gets his surgery and all goes well. So far this old man has been through a lot in the past few days! So tonight, they come to the shelter to get their "new" dog. I go to his kennel to get him and he greets me with his happy tail dance. I pick him up and walk him to his new family. I hand him over to the teenage girl who has been through a lot too, and.....he just melts into her. He lays his old grey head on her chest and just sighs. He has finally found his home!! I couldn't help it, I cried.

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] AWESOME !!!! [​IMG]

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mainchick, your an angel. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]...god bless you and your job!..i know i could never do it...i would be depressed and heartbroken every day...i thank you SO very much for doing what you do!...not just words..i mean it from my very heart...thanks!...[​IMG]

5. mainchick

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I really think that those people that adopt old dogs and old cats are the angels. they are the ones that take in the discarded pets. they take the animals that have given their whole lives to their families and then find themselves homeless when they need a family the most. Now, those adoptors are angels.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I adopted my 3rd dog 2 years ago when she was 11...she's now 13 and is the best behaved dog ever! Her owner was in a car wreck and disabled and the daughter of the owner was going to have her put down b/c she "didn't know what to do with her." She had obviously never been in a house before b/c we had to drag her inside and coax her onto her dog bed that we bought her...now she never gets off of it! She's happy and quite frisky for a 13-yr-old...can't quite keep up with the younger boys, but she sure tries! Shelters are always sad, but it somehow seems worse when the older animals are just thrown away...

7. mainchick

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I want to start an old dog rescue. After working at the shelter for 7 years, the old guys just get to me in a way I can't explain.

8. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    This is my old dog I adopted...Pepper (and yes, she puts up w/ anything!):
    [​IMG]

9. mainchick

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    awwww what a beauty!!

10. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Beautiful story...Made me cry...Of course I'm at the beginning of menopause and it doesn't take much to make me cry. [​IMG] Cried all the way through the movie "The Christmas Shoes"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by