What animal bit off metal/tin on nesting box?

Osofluffy

Chirping
Sep 16, 2020
I have my 4 bantam pullets in a small coop in the yard, two of which are broody & hopefully hatching some eggs. I went to the nesting box this morning and saw what looks like tooth mark scratches and bit part of the tin/metal off. It wasn't there yesterday and all the bantams were unharmed thankfully. We do lock the nesting box at night.
I broke the nesting box into 2 photos. It just one tin/metal door.
IMG_20210601_113746_301.jpg

What could this be? We are checking all the coops just to be safe & double securing.
Thank you!

The small grooves in each spot make me think a small critter. I have some red squirrels that chew through the aluminum flashing that I replace on an annual basis (thinking that they won't do it again like they did last year). I'm always amazed at how powerful little teeth can be.

Gray squirrel is my best guess. I used to keep my feed in a big plastic storage bin near my chicken run and the squirrels chewed a hole right through it. The marks looked a lot like the ones in your photos. They're just rats with a fluffy tail basically. :p I still feed them though even though they're a total hassle.

Back
Top Bottom