what animal did it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Shortstuff112, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    I recently lost my favorite Buff Orpington and I would like to set traps to catch the animal that did it. But the problem is I dont know what kind of animal. So I am hoping that by describing how she was killed would help. When I found her her neck and head was gone and her stomach was open ( sorry if I'm grossing you out ) and of course there were feathers every were. I didn't find any tracks though

2. farmerRyan

farmerRyan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Central Maine
    The same thing has happend to our polish. I set out a trap and figured out that it was a fox! Also sorry about your Buff Orpington, RIP

3. Shortstuff112

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    really? Well I suspected it but I wasnt sure! Thank you I'll set a trap

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nasty predators. It may also be a mink or weasel. They like to take the heads off their birds and pull the rest out leaving the poor carcass hollowed out. Even from the rear end to start. Most of the time, head. Yes it is gross but reality bites....literally.
    A baited live trap is a good idea, like a can of oysters, something with a strong odor.
    Especially if you live near a river or stream. Prime hunting grounds for the weasel and mink. They can claim a 2-3 mile territory. If a fox left the body behind then he was scared off. Most times the bird goes with them... Best of luck Steve

5. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    It sounds like a bird of prey.
    They don't eat the feathers.
    Coyote, fox, wolf etc eat the feathers.

Years ago had a monster size owl kill thirty chickens in one night and all it did was eat the heads and nothing else.

Grandfather saw it sitting on a log in the trees beside the coop the next day and sneaked up to it from the back and choked it out, then chopped its head off.

The owl with its head off filled a grain sack.
    Clawed up his leg pretty good to before he choked it out.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What time of day and where (coop, run, free range) was it killed? Hard to make a guess with only wound info.

7. Shortstuff112

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    our chicken yard is like this- they have a chicken coop and they have a yard witch is about half an acre so the top is not fenced. And Margarine had a habit of flying out of the yard and coming back at night but she was found right outside the fence close to the coop so we think she didn't get back untill the others were locked up at night. So a nacturnial animal did it and I don't think it was a bird of prey because we have a lot of trees and the coop is up against the barn

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could have been anything...dog, coon, fox, owl, weasel. Get a haveahart trap coon/fox size, see if you catch anything.
    But most important is make sure coop is bombproof and count your chickens when you close up at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by