What animal hair is this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Inneedofhelp, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Inneedofhelp

Inneedofhelp New Egg

Dec 9, 2014
    I found this outside of my chicken area this evening. I am rather sure I have a fox taking my poor chickens and I would like to know if this is fox hair. Please help!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    Looks like it but the question is what got the fox to knock out that much hair.

3. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    Red, btw, not grey.

4. CmbMn

CmbMn New Egg

Dec 10, 2014
    Looks like coyote to me

1 person likes this.
  5. Gerard Dawn

Gerard Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    USA
    I agree with CmbMn it does look like Coyote but its hard to tell.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    possibly a skunk?

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Possibly a fox, bobcat, or coyote. Animals have slightly different coats in different parts of the country so I am not able to rule out skunk or even dog. But what I do think is that something was feeding on whatever it was that the hair came from or else it was cut off with a clipper. More information is needed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Because of the way it is laying there and the amount, I think that is from prey, not predator. That fur is possibly from something else your predator ate. That could be about any predator but fox and bobcat top my list since a body was not found.

If your problem is a fox or even bobcat, the best answer may be better fencing or changing your management methods, though I don’t know how you manage them or what your set-up is like. If yours free range and are being taken during the day that can be a challenge.

The next solution is to try to get rid of that specific fox. Fox are tough to either shoot or trap but it is possible. Getting rid of one fox will not totally protect your chickens forever from foxes, another is likely to fill the void at some point, but it will stop the fox that is now hunting your chickens. It may take a while for another to fill that void so consider it a temporary solution at best.

A tactic that worked for me when I lost a chicken to what I think was a fox during the day, I locked the chickens in the coop and run for about a month instead of letting them free range. The fox or whatever learned that there was not a free meal waiting for him and quit hunting that area. I lost two chickens over a three year span while free ranging, which I think isn’t too bad.

9. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Did you happen to smell it? A fox or coyote fur chunk will smell like really dirty nasty dog. How do i know this??? We had piles of fur in the plowed driveway after a big snow storm. We concluded that a coyote used the driveway to get out of the snow and groom himself. The dirty dog smell was horrendous. Every critter has their own unique smell......

P.S. It looks like coyote to me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  10. chickamy

chickamy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2014
    I vote coyote

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by