What animals can live with horned goats?

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
We have two young male goats with horns. One is a gentle nubian and the other is a dominant and feisty nigeria dwarf. We'd like to add another animal to our barn, but we don't want to run into problems with having to separate animals (the goats have free run of the barn and share one large pen). We have the opportunity to adopt a bottle-fed lamb--but I have heard that polled sheep do not do well with horned goats. And I have heard the same about mini horses as well. Are we just limited to another horned goat or poultry really? Thanks!

Goats and sheep have different mineral requirements so it's not recommended to mix them, goats require copper which is toxic to sheep, not to mention that behaviorally they are completely different. I also wouldn't add a mini horse, kicking horses and horned goats can quickly lead to injuries. Either plan on separate pens and housing or get more goats, mixing species doesn't always work well.

Also something important to take into consideration is it will be very difficult to keep goats with chickens and not have them get in each others feed. Goats are pigs for anything that resembles grain, rabbit food, chicken food, you name it. They will be in the chicken feed and thats not healthy for them, especially at those quantities. Also, vice versa, the chickens will be in the goat food, since they can squeeze through the fencing and even fly over, no space is safe from them. Keep horned goats with other goats. Ive seen horned and dehorned goats get along just fine. It all just needs careful monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom