What Animals Really Eat Stickers?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mandylovespets, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mandylovespets

mandylovespets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    I asked people everywhere how I can get rid of my stickers in my backyard, not just the weeds but the actual stickers laying all over the ground too... A few people told me that ducks might, they don't! [​IMG] A few people told me that chickens will eat anything even stickers, they don't!!! [​IMG] I want to know what animal will really eat those prickly pests so they never come back lol! [​IMG]

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Goats or pigs. They even eat blackberry bushes and poison oak!

3. mandylovespets

mandylovespets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Quote:Cool I have wanted a goat for so long! Does that include any breed? What is the smallest breed of goat out there? Only because my yard isn't very big....

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    There are pygmy goats. Might be perfect for you. I believe you can milk them, too.

Try this or this or this .

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My "stickers" do you mean thistle, prickles or blackberries?

I use a combo of pigs and goats to do most the hard work around here. Goats pull it down, pigs stomp it and dig out the roots.

6. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    I originally got my pygmy goats to eat weeds and brush. All they ever ate was the horses hay and spilled grain! My nubians eat brush pretty well. You can get minature sized goats of most of the common breeds like nubians and alpines, etc.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I say pigs, our goats dont really care for brush or anything, they like weeds and garden flowers. Like greyfeilds said the pigs with stomp it down and up root it so it wont come back.

8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    When I was in Zimbabwe I was amazed at the thorns rhinos would eat. Get yourself a couple rhinos, and I bet you'll never worry about stickers again.

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Some but not all goats will eat them. I have a theory that goats are as picky and have as varied tastes as people.

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have 5 Nigerian dwarf goats, 3 does and 2 wethers.(fixed males) They are wonderfully sweet and smart. They eat just about anything, poison ivy,kudzoo, tall weeds, and thorny brambles.They come in a variety off colors. Wethers are usually pretty cheap if you dont want to bred them or milk the does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by