WHAT ARE BLACK SEX LINK???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yodercountrygirl, May 14, 2009.

1. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

My hubby came home today with 4 chicks!!!! [​IMG] Two of which are black sex link. Just exactly is that and how can you tell what gender? [​IMG]

2. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    pullets are all black and the male have a white patch or spot on the head.

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    And boy do they lay some eggs!!!!

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Black Sex-Links are a type of hybrid that is a really good egg layer.

The males will be all black with a white dot on the head, and the females will be completely black. As the hens grow older, they may get some red in the chest.

To get a Black Sex-Link, you cross a Rhode Island Red rooster over Barred Rock hens.

5. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Thanks!!! I know I have one pullet. [​IMG] she has red on the wings!!! Don't remember about the other one.

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    "Sex link" refers to the fact that the progeny of certain matings are distinguishable between male and female at birth.

This is from Feathersite:

Color Sexing

These sex-Links are chickens which can be sexed at hatching, usually by color but sometimes by feather development. They are planned crosses, which are hardier and more productive than their parents' respective breeds. (Ed. note: Be aware that these are breed hybrids and will not breed true.)

Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet.
    Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen.
    Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links.
    Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Feather sexing
    This requires maintaining 2 breeder flocks for the parents and one breeder flock for the chicks. (Two flocks would work, but this is easiest way to explain it.)

The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males. The resulting offspring would be the opposite of their parents. Females fast feathering and the males slow feathering.....

Because the males' feather grow slower, they will be shorter and of equal length. Females' feathers will be not only longer but some feathers will be much longer than the others (sort of a row of long and a row of short feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by