1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are bleed through feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by khatar, Jun 15, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    What is the exact definition of bleed through feathers, I kind of have an idea but I just want to be sure.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    are we talking colour bleed through?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I haven't heard of this. I don't know.

4. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I mean what roosters get in hackle feathers, sometimes there are black lines through them, not completely sure.

5. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I only know of the colour bleed through some of my roo's have in their hackles, due to cross colour breeding for example blue orpington x black orpington, sometimes you get a few pure chicks and some have colour bleed through. Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    SHAFTING is when the colour of the feather shaft does not match the rest of the feather's colour (usually black, but can be white); BLEED THROUGH is when the bird should have solid black or blue hackles, and has silver or gold in the hackles.

7. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:That is what is happening to my young cockerel, he is all black with silver bleed through, is this only in the roos?

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No...not just roos bleed through can show up in either male or female....here is a good example for you in color for you to see

This is a blue Orp roo, Suede, he is owned by Speckledhen here on BYC. By the way I have this picture with her permission. Notice his beautiful blue hackle feathers on the neck...

[​IMG]

This is my dark blue orp roo, Lancelot.....notice the red bleeding through in his hackles? (he looks kinda grey from being out in the sun everyday, when he molts he will be gorgeous dark blue again)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    excellent example!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by