what are blood feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KooKoe, Dec 3, 2010.

1. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    I was wondering what blood feathers are and how does it work. is it a problem? Should I pull them out or just leave them alone? Is it a sign of some underlying problem?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Blood feathers are what newly emerging feathers are called. When a bird molts or loses feathers and a new feather grows in its place it emerges as a quill. The quill has a great blood supply to aid in rapid re-growth. This is perfectly normal and necessary for the feather to grow. If these newly emerging feathers should be damaged during this time of growth they will bleed like crazy. If a blood feather is damaged it needs to be plucked out to prevent a bird from bleeding to death. If the feathers are not damaged then they should be left alone. Plucking every blood feather out will leave a bird naked because you are essentially pulling out all their new feathers. The bigger the feather, the better the blood supply, and the greater the chance of hemorrhage if the feather should be damaged.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] yes if a blood feathers get broken it act like a straw and will keep bleeding. Also if clipping wing and you see a blood feather don't cut it. pluck any broken blood feather.

4. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    thanks folks! I was worried coz my roo has plenty of them! Siily me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by