1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are chances chicks will lay blue egg??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kylieschooks, Oct 7, 2013.

1. kylieschooks

kylieschooks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Hello,

I've got a hen that lays LOVELY large blue eggs! I do not know what she is, I was told a mixed lavender? Not sure? Anyway I really want to see if I can hatch some chicks and see if they lay blue eggs.

I have never hatched eggs before, I've read a little bit about it, but what I want to know is, can I use any cockerel? And what are my chances of getting chicks that lay blue egg?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    *** any cockerel

3. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    [​IMG]

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    You always have a chance for a pretty egg from any of her chicks, but it would up your chances by getting an Ameracauna rooster or at least an Easter Egger.

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    VERY slim. I have two hens that were Ameraucana crossed with Plymouth Rock. The rocks lay brown eggs, the ameraucana blue. BOTH of these hens now lay brown eggs. They are lighter, and sometimes look speckled with perhaps too much calcium (the speckling is kinda textured and not uniform). But the eggs are brown, none the less.

So it is going to depend on what kind of rooster you breed her to. Get yourself an Ameraucana rooster, and you should be getting more blue eggs. Try to stay away from Easter Egger, as the blue egg is a sign that your hen is probably purebred Ameraucana. Easter Eggers are also mixed breeds, and can lay green, olive, or blueish eggs. There's no guarantee with them.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

LTygress you probably have an EE hen, an Ameraucana crossed with a Rock rooster would have a very high probability of producing pullets that lay green eggs.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It should depend on how many blue genes she and the rooster have. Blue is dominant, so if your girl carries two genes for it all her daughters will have one gene for it and lay blue, if she carries one gene for it half of them have it... you know she has at least one since she lays blue.

So if you breed her to a rooster with no genes for blue, her daughters can only get whatever it is she has, so either all or half will lay blue.

If you breed her to a rooster with one gene for blue you wind up with all again if she has two (they get a gene from her for sure), or 75% blue egg layers and 25% not blue if she has one only. 25% will get a blue gene from each parent, 50% will get one from one or the other, and 25% will not get a blue gene.

If the roo has two blue genes, all will lay blue since they will get one from him for sure.

BTW, If she is a true blue egg layer and you cross her to a white egg layer roo you should get blue egg layers, if you cross her to a brown/tan egg layer roo you should get green egg layers (green is the brown overlay on the blue egg). For olive eggers you could use a really dark brown egg layer roo.

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would get a blue egg gene rooster- you chicken looks like the blue cooper maran hens I have seen on ebay. she is lovely. possibly part blue andelusian, since she has a large comb.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    blue egg rooster x with any color egg = shades of green/blue,

brown and blue= green,
    brown and white= tan
    dk brown and tan= light brown,
    white and blue =blue.
    dark brown and blue = dk green.

10. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Thanks for the replies!

So basically my best bet is to get a Blue egg gene rooster?

I'm in the UK, do you know what birds lay blue eggs and are available to get here?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by