What are combs supposed to look like?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Pretty self explanatory. What are the roosters' combs supposed to look like? I've never seen a rooster up close before so I'm not sure. My Lavs have peacombs and it looks normal from the pics I've seen but my bantam roos have single combs and they're all bumpy. Is that normal or is there something wrong like a dietary deficiency? I guess I imagined it would be smooth but what do I know? Okay, I'll await your replies while googling for better, closer pics.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  3. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Thank you for the link but I did already have it. I guess I was unclear. What I meant was that the comb *skin* looked bumpy like it's covered in mini-warts or something. I assumed the skin would be smooth (stupid misleading cartoons). I finally found a very close up picture of a roosters comb and they have the same kind of skin as mine so my guys are fine apparently. I'm just an anxious chicken-mom.

4. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

There is what my SLW cockerel looked like a few weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

And here's my mutt rooster Puff Daddy:
    [​IMG]

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, they normally have a rough pebbley feel. [​IMG]

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    There are several different kinds of combs, depending on your breed. Here are a couple of my guys.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:Ahh, thank you! That's what I needed to hear! They certainly crow like they are healthy, but you can't be too careful, I'd hate to miss a sign of illness and find out about it later. Glad to hear it's all normal! Thanks again to all who replied!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by