1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are eggs fertile and other questions.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by augiedranch, Jun 29, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    my roos are four months old. they are doing their thing like crazy.. are they actually doing anything....

also, if i breed a hen on monday.. on tuesday, the egg she lays, will it be by the roo that bred her on monday?

thanks

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    there' a post somewhere on what a fertilized egg looks like. And as far at is being fertilized, it takes about three weeks to go through the system.

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    A four-month-old cockerel may be fertile and probably is, although there can be lag time of a couple of weeks from the time he starts mating the hens. Once a roo has mated the hens, the sperm will be stored in their system for up to three weeks, usually more like two or two and a half.

Edited to add: Maximum fertility is within the first 4 days of mating.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    "Humping the girls like crazy"... now there is some interesting descriptive.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Really the only way to tell if your eggs are fertile is to crack one open and look for a bastoid disk.

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Sounds like some far away black hole, on an episode of Stargate.

7. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thanks for all of your help! wow three weeks. .. so when i want just buff orpington babies, i need to keep them seperated for three weeks penned up? all of mine are free range, but i also have golden polishes, barred rocks, jersey giants, and rirs.

thank for the help. and sorry for the description. i will change the wording if i need to. let me know if i need to reword it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by