What are eggs worth?

clawmute

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas
OK, compared to store bought eggs (yuk! which are pitiful - even those that advertise to be the best) - home grown eggs are superb. What are they worth per dozen on the market? Eating type eggs that is, I have never sold any for hatching.

What are your eggs worth? With the price of feed increasing almost daily, just getting some of your feed money back and having all the eggs you want is not bad. Whats your opinion, do you win or lose on your chicken's egg production? I wonder how much prices vary across America?

They're up tp $3.00/doz at the farmers market, but the so called "free range" eggs from the store are up to as much as $6/doz in health food stores and $4/doz at regular stores. But we all know that the commercial version of free range isn't really free range, so ours are worth a lot more even if the chickens only have a 10sq foot per bird area with no grass and just bugs (mine eat the poop out of the grass and it's gone within a week, so I gotta throw clippings in there instead)

Am currently selling for $2.00 a doz in Omaha Ne. for farm fresh brown eggs. Also, have a waiting list for those who want to get eggs from us. Building a good base of loyal customers,treating them right and representing yourself correctly helps.
Funny thing is a lot of the customers live on farms. They don't want to mess with chickens! Go figure!

THANKS & A TIP OF MY EGG CARTON FOR YOUR KIND REPLIES!

ARMACLAWgif.gif

Looks like it varries wildly depending on where you are in the country. We sell ours for $4 a dozen and I am thinking about raising it because feed costs are on the rise. In our area, organically fed and free range adds considerable value. People want and are willing to pay for a more sustainable and healthy egg.

Wel, what they are WORTH is totally different than what they sell for!
lol.png

I actually sold my first dozen today for $3.00. I priced brown "cage free" eggs at the grocery store, and they were $2.59, so I figured that 3 dollars was a reasonable price. Because we all know that cage free doesnt mean they are free range, or even that they see the outdoors at all.
Now, I don't buy the feed- DH does, but I am willing to bet there is a very small profit, if any, even though my birds free range all day.

I am getting 4.00 a dozen. I even argue about it being to much but I keep hearing "I pay more than that a new seasons and yours are much better" LOL

Back
Top Bottom