1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are favorite vegies to feed to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Juliechickens, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi,
    I'm wanting to start a new garden just for growing vegetables for my chickens. What would be the best vegies (favorites) for the chickens. Someone told me hers loves squash so I planned on that. Any other favorites that your chickens love, please let me know so that I may plant it in my garden. I live in Memphis, TN. Lots of sunshine here! Although we had a cold spell last weekend,,,,that's just not normal this time of year for us. Oh well!
    Please let me know your chicken's favorite vegies!
    Thanks, Julie [​IMG]

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Lettuce, carrots, and not a veggie, but grapes too.

Oh, and broccoli...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    My hens love Greens, especially Kale. You could plants a few extra tomatoes plants for them. They also love Cucumbers.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My hens and roos, just LOVE watermellon, and cantelope....lettuce....tomatoes...apples...grapes. They are a whole lot like feeding little piggies, they will eat most anything...but just for treats...they still need thier feed.

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    My hens love tomatoes, zuchinni, yellow squash, *pumpkin, *butternut squash, lettuce, sweet corn, water melon, *cateloupe. honey dew, green beans, *kale, apples, strawberries, *carrot peelings.

*good for orange yolk color

6. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Wow!!!! Sounds like they will eat anything!! Well,,this helps me a lot actually,,,now I need to figure out what will grow well for me here in Memphis! One more question,,,,as far as lettuce goes,,,,,any kind of lettuce?? Iceberg too? I think I read somewhere NO on iceberg lettuce but I'm not certain. Thanks you guys! [​IMG]

7. Kambi

Kambi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2007
    Mine love cantalope especially. Also give them a little cottage cheese if it's slightly out of date and you don't want it for your family. A real treat and they can use the calcium

Kathy

8. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Its not that iceberg lettuce is bad it is just that its basically water and contains hardly any nutrients. Romain, buttercrunch and redleaf are better choices - they contain some nutrients and are more palatable to chickens.

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine love tomatoes, grapes and melons. I'll feed them slightly out of date melon and they go crazy for it!! Nothing funnier than "chicken keep away"!!

10. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

I grow broccholi and kale for my chickens. Of couse, corn on the cob! Merry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by