What are Golden Comet Chickens?

bychicken1

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2021
We've been looking for new chickens to add to our flock, have been considering Rhode Island Reds and Australorps, and came across the golden comet:

I've seen they lay lots of eggs, are pretty friendly...

has anybody had any experience with these chickens and are they good chickens for beginner owners?

We've been looking for new chickens to add to our flock, have been considering Rhode Island Reds and Australorps, and came across the golden comet:

I've seen they lay lots of eggs, are pretty friendly...

has anybody had any experience with these chickens and are they good chickens for beginner owners?
We have 2 currently, they lay pretty much everyday. They also go by gold sexlink, red sexlink, red star, etc. They are easy to care for, but don’t live long and are pretty friendly AND hardy...

Attachments

• E838D51B-C2F3-456D-8B91-D8F7637D1D1D.jpeg
    E838D51B-C2F3-456D-8B91-D8F7637D1D1D.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 4
They get along well with my others and I have a mix: Buff Orpington, Delaware, Barred Rock, White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, Olive Eggers....all standard size.
They are more active than the Buffy and the Delaware, a lot quieter than the leghorns.
Not as inclined to pick at the others as the RIR.
Mine live and free range with horses and goats, no problems there.
I have not noticed any getting broody.
The leghorns are the most inclined to get into trouble.

I would recommend Australorps over Golden Comets only because of the health issues. I don't agree with breeding a hen that lays so many eggs she will likely die from reproductive issues early in her life. Australorps are also excellent egg layers, usually sweet, but a bit more feisty than the Comets, and should be healthy through the full length of their natural lives. Australorps can live to be ten while a Golden Comet will likely not make it to four. Just my two cents.

I have a Golden Comet in my most recent group of chicks. Every group I try to get different breeds to see who I like. I can tell you that her personality is the best of them, but that will also make it pretty tough when she isn't expected to live very long. The gold coloring is also very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom