What are good forager breeds for a chicken tractor/ moveable coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hallroyal, Sep 13, 2010.

1. hallroyal

hallroyal New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I want to incorporate chickens into my gardening cycle and pastures using a homemade chicken tractor. I have four Rhode Island Reds hens that are decent foragers, I know they have been killing the small green caterpillars! I was wondering what breeds, in others' opinions, were the best foragers? I would love to have pictures to go along with opinions of breeds! Here are my girls:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    marans

3. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    My partridge rock always has a bug in her beak! I don't know where she finds them!

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I have 4 different birds and they all forage. I think its the nature of chickens but I have read that the feather footed breeds have more trouble with it ,but my Brahma doesn't seem to

5. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I only have EE's and a Buff Orpington. The BO is a MUCH better forager than the others. They're all out there doing their thing, but there is a noticeable difference with the BO.

6. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Sicilian buttercups mine hate being in the coop and are always busy when outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by