1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are good treats for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brahmakid11, Sep 10, 2011.

1. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    what are good treats for chickens that i could give all 41 of my chickens cheap

2. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    In all honesty I don't know of a cheep snack.I give them my table scraps which consists of alot of different things.I have 9 chickens and I give them a few handfuls of raw oat meal.I also give them a few handfuls of boss (black oil sunflower seeds)If I give them both I cut back on the amount of each.I also at times get a bag of cracked corn or shelled corn and spread that out some.I don't feed the corn in the summer because it produces body heat and they don't need that.There are alot of things you can feed them.You may have to shop around and get a varity of things at different times.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Whatever is cheap. They love tomato peels left over from canning, handfuls of oats, watermelon, grapes. We have a bag of scratch that I throw a few handfuls in their pen before roost time occasionally.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    we do a cracked corn black oil sun flower seed mix.

5. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    You can go to 'the learning center' on this site, click on 'feeding chickens' then click 'treat chart'. There is a bunch of stuff listed. Mine are too young for treats but I'll be ready when they are!

6. cheapsk8

cheapsk8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Hillsville VA.
    Don't know how you feel about dumpster diving or you could contact a local produce stand. Mine love apples cantaloupe watermelon tomatoes squash a little old bread... A lot of produce suppliers will give you their stock that is not good enough for sale! Bonus freebies rock!!!!

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got with my local grocer and pick up a banana box full of unsellable produce every week. There's always a wide variety of goodies that my 9 chickens love. When more of my girls start laying he will get some free eggs from time to time. When I raised hogs, I did the same thing, just a much larger scale. You'll find they are more than happy to oblige.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hmm, you could get a bag of scratch. It has a mixture of things chickens like and are also good for them. Mine usually just enjoy veggie so u could grow some of your own. My chickens just adore fruit like mango, strawberries and cherries. I love them too! [​IMG]

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Grow a garden!! I'm putting in my fall garden now they like greens, kale, spinach, and even the dreaded weeds. Its great having veggies for them in the winter.

10. joan3

joan3 New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    I only have twelve chickens, seven weeks old. But they LOVE a few handfuls of cooked rice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by